†Chapter Eleven†

When I opened my eyes, feeling the sun warming my bare shoulders, the heat of Axel beside me, I was almost sure that it was all a dream. My head rested on his chest, his arm wrapped around with his hand resting in the curve of my side. I smiled softly, remembering the previous night as I traced his collarbone with my finger, listening to his heart. It quickened a little under my touch, his breath hitching for a moment before returning a steady rhythm. 

Soon, commotion downstairs and the smell of breakfast reached me. At first, I wanted to wake Axel, but seeing how peaceful he looked, I decided he needed as much rest as possible. My stomach growled softly, urging me to seek out the delicious food I smelled. I contemplated for a few moments as I continued to listen to Axel's heartbeat. 

"If Skye wanted us to sleep in, why is she cooking breakfast?" I heard him mumble. He rubbed my side, letting out a long breath. 

"I was going to wake you, but I figured you needed your sleep," I replied, wrapping my arm over his stomach. I loved being this way with him and I didn't ever want to leave. His fingers traveled along from my hip up to my ribs, pausing for a moment, then along my ribs a few times. 

"What are these?" he asked, focusing his movements on one area on my ribs. "Where did these scars come from?"

"A few years ago, a bear wandered into our territory and I came across its kill. It attacked me and, if Daeus, my Alpha, hadn't shown up when he did, the bear would have killed me," I replied softly, remembering the terror of the encounter. 

Axel tightened his arm around me, holding me closer, and pressing his lips to the top of my head. "Good thing he did, too. If he hadn't, last night wouldn't have happened," he said, smiling. "So, thank you, Daeus." 

I felt a blush heat up my cheeks as a small smile crept across my lips, and I giggled. "Last night was amazing. I still can't believe it happened." 

He rolled over onto his side to face me, cupping my face as he looked into my eyes. "I can't believe it either," he said softly. "I never thought I would feel the way I do with you, Luna." With that, he pulled me closer and kissed me. Comfortable silence fell between us as we laid there, wrapped in each other's arms, lost in the warmth of being together. I had never been in love before and during my year of pain and hatred, I hadn't thought it was possible for me to experience it. 

Pain was harsh like ice that clung to my chest, leaving my heart and lungs frost-bitten, while hatred burned like a raging forest fire, consuming anything in its path; but love was like feeling the warmth of the sun for the very first time. It felt like the gentle summer breeze that slipped across my skin, pushing through my black hair, warming my body down to the marrow of my bones. My heart felt warm, content, and peaceful in Axel's embrace and whenever he looked at me. I had fallen in love with him without realizing its extent until last night. He made me feel like I was flying high above the clouds among the rays of the sun, where even eagles hadn't dared to go. He was the absolute perfection and I never wanted to be without him. 

The sound of my stomach growling broke our silence, making us both laugh a little. "Maybe I should have Skye bring us food," Axel remarked. 

I pressed my lips to his collarbone. "I think we're capable of going downstairs," I replied. 

"But I don't want to leave this bed," he groaned, pulling me closer. "I'd rather lay here with you all day." 

I smiled, about to say something when there was a harsh knock on the door, followed by Victor's voice. "You'd better get out of bed before I eat all the food!" he called. 

"Why don't you bring the food here?" Axel called back. 

Victor laughed. "I seriously doubt you can afford my maid service."