†Chapter Eight†

We crouched just behind the edge of the trees, Axel on my left side, watching the three guards that patrolled the top of the massive stone wall that surrounded Revenport. The sky was black, stars blotted out by the lights of the city and the moon missing from the sky. The distance between the tree line and the wall was almost too far to cross without being spotted. Directly across from us was the storm drain Axel identified as the one he used. I could just barely see the metal grate that blocked it, but he assured me it could be opened, allowing us access into the city. Even from where we were, the sounds coming from the other side of the wall were a little harsh on my ears. I knew it would be worse once we were among the chaos.

"Once that guard right there passes, I want you to run over to the drain as quickly and quietly as possible. Don't hesitate; just run," Axel murmured, moving closer to me. He gently grabbed my wrist, making me look over at him. In the low light, I could see the worry hidden behind his eyes. "If the guard sees you, shift and haul ass in the other direction. Okay?"

I swallowed hard, feeling the lump in my throat, and nodded.

"I won't be far behind you."

I took a deep breath, turning my attention back to the storm drain. My heart thudded in my chest from the fear and adrenaline that coursed through me, making my fingers tingle. I wasn't as fast in my human form, and my own small bag would surely slow me down, but I was determined. I had to make it to the other side.

When my opportunity arrived, I was running as hard as I could before I had even realized what my body was doing. I didn't look up, or behind me; I kept my eyes on the drain and pushed my legs as hard as I could. The sound of my pounding heart took over any other noise that would reach my ears, leaving me unable to notice if the guard had seen me and alerted the others to my presence.

As soon as I reached the storm drain, I slammed myself to a stop and leaned up against the cold stone, listening for any indication I had been seen. To my relief, there was only the sound of my breathing, the crickets, and water dripping from the storm drain. I had made it over safely; now Axel had to, which made my heart pound harder.

It felt like minutes were ticking by as I waited for Axel to start running over. I tried to calm my breathing, but my mind was too preoccupied by the situation. What if he was seen? Would I have to run too, or stay put and try to make it into the city by myself? No; I wouldn't go into the city without him. If the guards saw him and he had to run, I would follow.

Then, I saw Axel emerge from the tree line, running as hard as he could. His feet fell softly on the grass, making him impossible for humans to detect unless they happened to see him. As he ran, I held my breath, praying to the gods the guards wouldn't notice him. The clearing looked longer than it felt and every second that passed felt like minutes. He was almost to the wall; my heart felt like it was about to burst out of my rib-cage.

Finally, he came to a stop and leaned up against the wall beside me. I could hear his soft, erratic breathing as he glanced up to the top of the wall, then letting out a long breath. He looked over at me and smiled. "How's that for an adrenaline rush?" he whispered.

I wanted to roll my eyes, but the relief of him being next to me after worrying he wouldn't make it drowned out the urge. The moment was cut short by the fact we needed to make it completely out of sight as quickly as possible.

As if he had read my mind, Axel brushed past me and knelt down next to the storm drain, grabbing the side of it, lifting a small latch, and pulling on it with a little force. The grate swung open like a door, creaking slightly from its probable lack of use. He opened it wide enough for the both of us to fit through and motioned for me to go in first. I didn't hesitate. To my relief, the storm drain was large enough for both of us to stand in. Axel slowly pulled the grate closed and latched it once more.

Inside the storm drain, the air was heavy with moisture and held an unpleasant smell, like rotting earth and mold. I could hear rats squeaking nearby and soon, the sounds of the city above reached my ears. Horses and carts on cobblestone, humans yelling things back and forth; I almost didn't want to leave the storm drains and enter the overwhelming bustle.

"When we get out into the streets, stay close. It's easy to get lost up there if you don't know where you are," Axel explained as he stood beside me. "I'll get us as close to my contact's house as I can so you aren't exposed to the noise for so long. It can be a bit of a shock for a wolf who's never been in a city."

He brushed past me and, without my conscious consent, my hand snaked out and grabbed his wrist. "Axel." His name left my lips before I could stop it.

He half-turned, meeting my gaze. "Yeah?"

There was something I wanted to tell him; something sitting just on the tip of my tongue that begged to be spoken. Every part of me wanted to spill these words out to him, screaming for release, but I forced them away. I couldn't say them, not now. It wasn't the right time. "N-never mind," I whispered, dropping my gaze and releasing his wrist.

"Luna, what's wrong?" he asked, fully facing me.

I looked up at him and forced a thin smile. "It can wait. Let's hurry and get to the rebels," I replied. Something in his eyes made me wish I had said what I wanted to, but I just couldn't. There were plenty of other things we needed to worry about, and that wasn't one of them. We needed to get to the streets and find Axel's contact, who would hopefully take us to the rebels. From there, we would listen to whatever they had planned, and then figure out what to do next. I couldn't trouble him with my words.

"Alright, then let's get moving," said Axel and, without missing a beat, he grabbed my hand, leading me through the storm drain tunnels. Feeling his fingers laced through mine, comfort poured over me. Axel understood, and that was all I needed.

I tightened my grip on his hand and followed him; the storms of doubt, fear, and anger that raged inside me were, for the first time in a year, finally quieted.