~*~

somehow, the flight home didn't seem to drag on as long. the excitement was gone and the sleep deprivation kicked in. the four of the them were suffering from jet lag already; she could assume the same for finn.

she hadn't seen him at all during the flight, for the bathrooms were between them on the plane; and they never seemed to get up at the same times. she hoped he was doing well up there.

the last ten minutes near, the flight turning bumpy in turbulence as they near the winter storm coming into vancouver. violet seemed to be worried about that the most.

she pushes the window shade open as she gathers her things by her feet. contently, she watches the planes' wheels skid across a runway that disappeared from the ground. the black heated cement still fresh in blizzards snow. she was just thankful that they had landed safe.

relief even more so in that she had a gut feeling that something was off. she figured she had gotten through the worst of it.

they gather their things, all ducking by their seat despite not being able to get off until much later due to their seating location.

"finn just texted me." ayla speaks,
"says he's already off the plane and to meet him at the shop just outside the gate."

the rest nod in acknowledgment, all impatiently waiting to get their chance off the plane.

finally, they're able to shuffle into the isle. violet is left to the back; the window seat pushing her in that position. a woman walks on her heals; maybe ten people following behind her on the plane.

the band goes on as shes forced to stop in the isle at a man taking his luggage out of the overhead bins.

she sighs, waiting as it didn't matter much to her. eventually, she follows the man out of the plane.

up the tunnel, she doesn't see the others. adjusting her backpack to her shoulders, she continues up to her way to the airport within the small crowd. she stares down at her phone, not paying much of attention to anything.

that was, until the commotion began.

she wasn't out of the tunnel when she heard it, the screams. the strangers around violet all look to each other, they continue walking; but their pace starts to slow.

in fact they don't stop until they see the crowded airport start to scatter with people running, different directions to echo screams.

it makes the small group on the ramp halt in their tracks. a sound rings to violets ears; one she wasn't sure of, she hadn't heard it personally before. but it was loud, deafening, and it didn't take an education to figure what it was.

violet begins to run up the ramp, her heart in her throat as panic spreads to her hands.

"lady! you cant go up there, that shot was right outside!" the stranger calls after her.

violet glances back at the black man that had held her back in the first place.
"my friends are out there!" she calls back.

she hears him yell after her again, but his words blur to her head. her ears ring; everything happening so fast.

she makes it up to the end, just out of the doors as shes forced to a stop.

her body is pushed back in force, hands on her shoulders shoving her back down the ramp.

as she catches her balance, glancing up towards the direction of the force. her mind spins, eyes meeting the barrel of a machine gun.

her body trembles, the gun only pointed at her for seconds before the gunman turns around, shutting the doors to the airport closed.

the group of strangers all stare petrified to the man that began to lock them in the tunnel with him, his machine gun in his free hand.

violet couldn't hear much, heavy breathing. she practically could hear her hands shaking against her backpack straps.

"everyone put your phones on the ground." the man turns around to the group. his pale face laces in scruff, dressed in every day clothes.

violets eyes travel down to his shoes, dotted in blood. her eyes widen as he shouts at them to hurry. threatening them with gun point.

they comply, dropping their phones to the ground. the man kicks them out of reach from the hostages.

thats what it was, a capture of hostages.

violet didn't care, she was scared; but not with the gun pointed at them.

with the thought that the blood on the mans shoes could have been anyones.

could have been her friends'.

1320 wc

- this is super confusing right now but bare
with me.
- WARNING* if you're sensitive to violent attack situations i don't recommend reading the next chapter.
you WILL NOT miss any crucial information by skipping the chapter