Chapter 4

---Ezra's POV---

I was busy cooking dinner when I heard Jeremy's voice shouting my name, his little feet rushing over the floor before he zipped into the kitchen and nearly crashed into the cabinet beside me. Glancing down, I frowned slightly and gave a last stir at the bubbling stew before crouching to Jeremy's height.

Blonde curls dangled over his cute button nose and hazel eyes while Jeremy jumped up and down, splattering mud all over the former creamy tiles. Not that Jeremy noticed any of that; he was too busy in trying to tell me something, but his excitement and animal wasn't making it easy.

"Hey, hey, hey! Calm. Down. Take a deep breath Jer and tell me what's wrong." I finally said, grabbing the kid's muddy wrists in my hands, briefly wondering why he was so filthy anyways. I had only sent him out to Miranda to borrow some bay leaves to put in the stew.

Jeremy inhaled dramatically, still bouncing on the tips of his toes before he started from the top. "Miranda said I had to come get you so I did, but you weren't listening to me while we need to go to the pack quickly but you're just standing here and she needs help and Luke's being punished and Miranda's angry-"

"Whoa! Hold on there, slow down." I couldn't help but laugh as the boy had to take several breaths, having run out of air during his rushed and extremely long sentence. Just breath! I snorted and stood up, pulling everything from the stove and making sure my house wouldn't burn down before I grabbed Jeremy and walked out the door.

"Did she tell you why we're needed there?"

"Yeah, Luke attacked a cat and now it's stuck under their house. I've never seen a cat before and Luke said it's a shifter, but I said 'No, its not!' Shifters don't smell like that but he wouldn't believe me-"

Jeremy bounced instead of walking, holding tightly onto my hand as he skipped from side to side, never taking a moment to collect his breath until I placed my hand over his mouth, earning an amused chuckle.

"Miranda gave you chocolate again, didn't she?" I groaned out loud, not needing his excited nod to know I wasn't going to get any sleep this night unless I shifted and played with him for hours and hours.

Well, after a much needed bath; I remember dressing Jeremy with a pair of cotton gray sweatpants and a loose red shirt, both a muddy brown and soaking wet by now. Did he swim in a mud pool again?

Just as I was about to ask just that, I heard Miranda's southern' voice chime through the air while she stood beside her house. What surprised me that she was sitting knee-deep into the mud, trying to look underneath her house with a distraught expression on her face.

"Oh Jeremy, thank you so much my dear for getting Ezra. Go on inside and warm up love, Bryce will have some soup ready for yah." She smiled as they boy cheered and zipped inside, leaving me beside the house with a concerned Miranda and a very guilty-looking Luke.

"What's wrong Miranda? I know you don't call me without a reason. And please stop giving chocolate to Jer. You know how he reacts on the sweets." She waved my protest away with a distracted motion of her hands before curling her finger, indication that I should come closer and follow her example.

Grunting as I leaned over, I first saw nothing in the darkness underneath her house, but when my shift kicked in and sharpened my senses, I saw a small form huddled against the farthest corner, facing the wall and ignoring the clicking sounds from Miranda.

"The poor thing was attacked by my dumbass son and now it won't come out. It doesn't respond, doesn't even move. Breaks my heart to see it suffer like that." She said with a click of her tongue, Luke crossing his arms over his chest and scowled at the floor at the scolding tone.