Ch. 65 Letters from Home

Start from the beginning

Matriarch He gave Senior Servant Liu some instructions as she slowly savoured a bowl of birds’ nest soup. “Send someone over to Dalang’s wife and have her make two more outfits suitable for a fifth-ranked noble wife for Sanlang’s wife. And also, have her make two more phoenix tail hairpins.”

Senior Servant Liu voiced her acknowledgement of the orders, but didn’t immediately send someone off to execute them. She stood by Matriarch He’s side as if she had something to say but did not dare to speak up.

Matriarch He cast a sideways glance at her. “Why? Do you think this old woman isn’t being fair to Dalang’s wife?”

“This old servant doesn’t dare to question Madam!”

Matriarch He set down the jade bowl in her hands and said, “Xiangyun, I’ve given her enough time. Dalang can’t go without a male heir. If Dalang’s wife can’t even hold herself together over this small matter, then how will she face the day that Dalang takes a concubine? Dalang will be the one to shoulder the responsibility of taking care of this family in the future.”

Upon hearing Matriarch He’s words, Senior Servant Liu suppressed the concerns that she had wanted to bring up. She simply agreed with the matriarch and turned to do her bidding.

When Madam Zou received the news, she couldn’t hold back her rage and immediately threw a teacup to the ground, scaring the trembling maidservant who had passed on the message.

However, as angry as she was, she couldn’t disobey Matriarch He’s orders.

She tried her best to suppress the fire in her heart. At night, when Dalang tried to initiate intimacy with her, she didn’t have the mood to acquiesce. Although both husband and wife slept on the same bed, they had different thoughts in mind this night.

At the northern border in Liangzhou, the weather grew colder, as it had been since the start of August. While the nobles of the capital were still donning summer garments, the people of Liangzhou had to put on a thick coat in order to step outside.

In the simple city of Liangzhou, there was an unassuming little courtyard with only three rooms and an open air kitchen that had a stack of freshly cut firewood next to it.

There was still a small fire sitting on the range inside the kitchen. White smoke drifted up from it, and a strange smell was coming from the pot on the stove. A person stood up from behind the range with a face full of soot.

The entrance to the courtyard was pushed open with a creak, and a young man with a full beard stepped in. He was dressed in black with a sword at his waist.

Although he seemed a little dusty and worn from his travels, there was a resolute light in his eyes.

The soot-faced man quickly ran over to welcome his master. “Third Young Master, you’re finally back! Quick, come in and rest. The meal will be done soon.”

Laiyue took the package off He Changdi’s back and the long sword at his waist before leading his master into the main room.

This was He Changdi’s tenth day in Liangzhou.

This courtyard that he was staying in had been bought just ten days ago. He Changdi was now darker than when he first entered Liangzhou. The elegant line of his chin had been completely obscured by a dense beard, but his originally deep eyes had become even more spirited and determined.