eleven

As soon as the hospital opened for visitors, Katya was there. She had been every day for the past week. She woke up at eight to be at the hospital by nine. Her mother had been driving her, and promised to teach Katya how to drive soon. The new sense of freedom that came along with it would be exhilarating, she knew, but she wasn't looking to be entirely liberated. She just wanted to see Trixie.

Trixie hadn't been doing extraordinarily, but she was getting by. She would be conscious for a few hours a day, but she needed a lot of rest. Katya didn't mind, though. She was just happy to be in the presence of her love.

Katya would be lying if she said she hadn't stolen some kisses from Trixie when she was both conscious and not. Just gentle ones on her forehead or cheek; just something to make Katya feel like all of this had a bright side.

It had been exactly one week since the accident. Katya, as usual, was in Trixie's room by nine fifteen. To her surprise, Trixie was sitting up, looking more alive than Katya had seen her since before.

"Kitty!" She exclaimed, her smile wider than Katya thought humanly possible.

Katya ran into Trixie's arms, careful not to hurt her. She felt Trixie's tight embrace and her heart jumped directly into her head.

"You're awake!" Katya was elated as she spoke. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay, I've missed you so much," Trixie murmured, reaching out to hug Katya again.

The girls talked until lunchtime about anything and everything. Katya recounted what she could of the accident and her stay at the hospital, leaving out the times where Trixie crashed and heard her mother yelling at the doctors. Trixie talked about her dreams and how she was feeling. She talked about funny nurses and handsome doctors. They talked until their mouths went completely dry, and by then Katya was snuggled against Trixie, listening to her heartbeat and feeling her chest rise and fall with each breath.

"I'm really happy you're okay," Katya whispered to Trixie.

"Me too."

"I'm gonna go get some lunch, is there anything you want me to get you?"

Trixie put her hand under her chin, feigning serious thought. "A vanilla pudding cup and strawberries, please?"

Katya leaned down and pressed her lips to Trixie's forehead. "Anything for you," she said.

When Katya left, a nurse came into the room and replaced her. "How are you feeling, Trix?" The nurse asked in a chipper tone.

"I'm good, Brooke Lynn," Trixie said. Brooke Lynn had grown to be her favorite nurse over the course of the week. "My head is starting to hurt, though."

"Let's see if there's anything I can do to help with that." She leaned down and listened to Trixie's heart, listened to her breathing, and examined her pupils. The doctors still didn't know exactly what was wrong with Trixie and why the crash treated her so poorly. "Your pupils are just a touch dilated, doll. I'll give you some eye drops that should fix 'em right up" she said, leaving the room for a moment before returning g with a small bottle in her hand. She put the drops in Trixie's eyes and told her to press her button if it didn't go away within an hour.

Katya walked back into the room holding a blue lunch tray. It reminded her of her days in public school. On it there was a sandwich, a fruit cup, strawberries, and two pudding cups. She smiled as Trixie, who's pink hair was in two Dutch braids. Her blonde roots were becoming exposed, which Katya found endearing.

"Thank you so much, Kitty," Trixie said sweetly. She was happier than a kid in a candy store whenever her Katya was around.

Though this was the first day where she was fully conscious, she had been having snippets of lucid conversation with the girl. They had shared kisses and hugs and Katya told stories about everything. Just being together made them happy.

"School starts in a month and a half," Katya said.

"Does that mean you're going to school again?" Trixie asked, blush high on her cheeks.

Katya smiled as she finished chewing a bite of her sandwich. "I think so. My mom and I are still talking about it, working out the kinks and stuff," she said.

Trixie was beaming. "Would we go to the same school?"

"Yeah," Katya said, watching Trixie bubble over with excitement.

The girls talked about school and classes and drama. They talked about dances and drugs and teachers. Katya talked about who she remembered- mostly kids Trixie had never heard of. Trixie talked about her friends, most of which Katya didn't really remember either. It was a big school. They would be able to blend in and fade into the background.

"Do they know you're, um," Katya fumbled trying to find the right words. "Do they know you like girls?"

Trixie shook her head. "No. They know me as kind of a slut," she mumbled. "I've had 'things' with lots of boys. Never girls."

"Oh," Katya said.

"It's okay, I'm not worried or anything. My friends are chill. They don't care. They'll love you."

The thought made Katya smile. Her, Trixie, and all their friends sitting at a lunch table together, laughing and talking. No one would remember Katya's relationship with Dela. She could finally move forward.

It was about four o'clock when Katya's mother texted her to say she would be there in five minutes. Katya kissed Trixie's cheek and was about to leave when Trixie called her back in a very sweet voice.

"Kitty?" Her voice was timid.

Katya turned back toward Trixie's bed and cocked her head to the side.

"Can I ask you a question?"

Katya hummed an "mhm" and sat back on the end of the bed, facing the gorgeous girl who captivated her from the first moment she saw her.

"I'm gonna hopefully be outta here soon," Trixie said. "And afterwards, or now, I was just wondering if you wanted to be official?"

Katya grinned widely. "Are you asking me to be your girlfriend, Trix?"

Trixie blushed and exploded into smiles. "Yeah, I am," she said. "Will you be my girlfriend, Yekaterina?"

Katya leaned in to hug Trixie tightly. "Of course, moya lyubov'."

As Katya left the hospital, she had a renewed vigor to make Trixie as happy as she could. She had a renewed vigor to live, really. She felt she had finally closed the chapter of her life she had been trying to since Dela died. The door was finally closed and locked, and neither Katya nor Trixie had ever been happier.

the first ending.
if you'd like the story to end here, then thank you for reading! i hope you enjoyed, and do not forget to check out my other stories.
story does go on with a different ending~