[12- Prowler]

It was just after midnight on Saturday when we assembled where Alice had seen Victoria.

Everyone –excluding Edward– stood in a V formation; Jasper and I at the apex, ready to lead the pursuit. All our senses were glued to the forest, waiting for any indication that Victoria was here.

Alice went completely still, her eyes flickering back and forth.

"On your left," she announced and we took off. I was leading the charge, just like we had planned. I caught her scent immediately, hurdling under and over everything in my path. And then I spotted a flash of flaming red hair, a streak of pale white skin glistening under the moon. It was Victoria.

I quickly closed the distance between us until we were only ten feet apart. My hand stretched out to grab her from behind. But she seemed to know what I was about to do. In a single motion, she side stepped and escaped my grasp.

It continued for at least a minute. Every time one of us caught up to her, she managed to get away. It was like she knew exactly where to run to escape.

"She's heading towards the treaty line!" Jasper shouted. By the time I attempted to cut her off at the river that divided our territory, Victoria was already on the other side.

"Stop, she's on their side now." Carlisle cautioned.

I felt so helpless as we ran along the side of the river. Every fibre of my being wanted to leap across and chase her down. It would have been so easy.

"She'll get away!" I groaned, seeing her inch further and further away from reach.

"No she won't!" Jasper said confidently, and at that moment I saw the wolves chasing her down. They were fast, much faster than I thought. Maybe we had a chance of catching her.

But Victoria seemed to be able to pinpoint our weakness. She darted ahead of the wolves and jumped back to our side where no one was. I ran along the trees, making sure she wasn't able to escape through the forest.

Emmett was in the lead, about to get her. She leapt across the river and he followed.

"Emmett, no!" I yelled, but it was too late. He landed on the bank of the river, just shy of the Quilulete's side of the treaty line.

A grey wolf intercepted his path, slashing his chest with its claws. Emmett fell backwards into the river. I bounded between them, punching the wolf squarely in the face. The others barked aggressively. My hands curled into fists, ready to face them. I could feel Jasper behind me, trying to calm everyone down.

"It was just a misunderstanding," Carlisle spoke steadily, looking directly at the larger black wolf, clearly the alpha.

"Let's call it even," he added. The wolf nodded and the pack stopped barking. Without turning my back, I rejoined my family on our side of the treaty.

"We should talk at home," Jasper advised, his head subtly motioning to the wolves who were still standing defensively on their territory.

We ran home and reassembled in the living room.

"I'm sorry I punched the wolf," I apologised to everyone, "It was dumb and could have put us in a dangerous spot. I should have thought before I acted."

"You could have gotten hurt," Esme said, reaching up and stroking my cheek.

"I'm more annoyed that she got away."

"Yeah, how she get away?" Alice asked.  We turned to Jasper for an explanation.

"I've never encountered anything like her before," he admitted, "We need new tactics."

"Why was she even here in the first place?" I asked.

"I'm not sure." Jasper looked stumped. I knew him. He was a strategist, I knew he hated not knowing what was happening, more so than the rest of us. 

We discussed theories and strategies and everyone drifted away after an hour.

"I need to change," Emmett said. Because we produced no body heat, his clothes were still completely soaked from the river.

Emmett and I went upstairs to our room. My fingertips gently traced over the four slash marks across his chest. I lifted his shirt, exposing the skin underneath.

"Are you sure it doesn't hurt?" I asked.

He smiled, "I promise. It barely skimmed my chest." I sighed, if he was human, I had no doubt it would kill him. I put my hand protectively over his chest.

"I'd much rather me get clawed then you," he said, his voice tender. He put his hand over mine and wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

"We do need to talk about that punch," he said, pulling away from me. My eyes widened. What about it?

"It was awesome! Everything about it was perfect; timing, speed. So controlled," Emmett beamed. I loved when he got excited about this sort of thing.

"You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that," I admitted.

"But I was worried about you. You looked like you wanted to snap that dog's head off." Yeah, that checked out. Ever since my annoying encounter in March with Jacob, I wanted some semblance of payback to his kind. I didn't realise that I looked that angry.

Edward and Bella came over Monday night. Despite Edward vehemently trying to keep it from Bella, she found out. I was opposed to this whole 'lying to protect you' cliche. It was stupid. She had a right to know.

"There are seven of us, Bella," Carlisle told her in an attempt to calm her down. "And with Alice on our side, I don't think Victoria's going to catch us off guard. I think it's important, for Charlie's sake, that we stick with the original plan."

My mother chimed in. "We'd never allow anything to happen to you, sweetheart. You know that. Please don't be anxious." Esme reached for Bella's hand and squeezed it gently.

"I'm really glad Edward didn't kill you. Everything's so much more fun with you around."

I elbowed Emmett, "You can't say that." I smiled sympathetically at Bella.

Alice rolled her eyes, "I'm offended. You're not honestly worried about this, are you?"

"If it's no big deal, then why did Edward drag me to Florida?" She demanded.

"Haven't you noticed yet, Bella, that Edward is just the teeniest bit prone to overreaction?" I replied and Bella nodded in agreement. The understatement of the century. But I could see it from Edward's perspective. If he cared for Bella even half as much as I did for Emmett, he would stop at nothing to keep her safe.