Chapter 27: Case of the Ex

Start from the beginning

On the Sunday morning of the race, she found herself even more targeted than usual by the cameras as she kneeled on the garage floor. Evan was helping her repair a bolt that had lost its grip.

"Is it just me or is there more of them today?" she whispered to him, jerking her chin towards the front of the garage.

"There's definitely more," he replied without even needing to look.

"Why?" she muttered, more to herself than Evan.

"The rumour is that Hayley has been spotted in the paddock today," he said stiffly.

"Who?"

"Hayley Bauer, uhh, Seb's ex," he mumbled, finally stopping to give her a weird look.

She stared back at him blankly, "Didn't they break up like 2 years ago?"

Casey thought back to her first year working in the factory for Red Bull Racing. She was sure she'd heard something about it at one point.

"Something like that. But they were sort of on and off. Nobody really knew when it stopped, it just did," Evan recounted conspiratorially.

Casey looked back to his hands, watching him work expertly.

"So she's here?" she asked after another moment.

He chuckled, "I don't think it's anything to worry about."

"I'm just curious," she replied, biting her lip to hide a grin.

"Mmhmm," Evan replied, throwing her a lop-sided smirk.

Seb arrived in the garage later that afternoon after an already busy day of meet and greets and interviews. When he saw the heightened media presence outside the garage he sighed heavily.

"Hey," he said, dropping his hand on Evan's shoulder.

The blonde turned around curiously.

"Can you get Case for me? I'll be in the back."

Evan nodded, "Sure."

Seb turned on his heel and made his way toward the back room, shutting himself in and relishing the quiet, private space. A minute or so later the door opened slightly and Casey slipped through, looking over her shoulder warily as she shut the door again.

"Hey!" she said as she finally turned towards him and smiled happily.

Seb felt his chest flutter as he looked at her. He loved it when she smiled at him like that.

He held his arms towards her and she stepped into them, sliding her hands around his neck and leaning in to kiss him gently. He placed a hand behind her head, pulling her in closer and deepening the kiss. He'd been waiting to do that all day.

After a minute, Casey pulled away to catch her breath.

"Seb. Did you pull me in here just for a make out session?" she whispered against his lips, giggling slightly.

He grinned back at her, stealing another kiss before releasing her.

"No, sadly not. Uhh..." he tried to figure out how to raise the subject.

"What is it?" she interrupted, frowning slightly.

"There's a woman here today, maybe you've already heard about it. We used to be together," he stammered.

"Hayley," Casey replied with a quick nod.

"Yes. I don't know why she's here, she was friends with some of the other girlfriends and wives in the paddock, so maybe she's here with them. She hasn't contacted me. But uhh, just so you know, there will be talk."