Part 23

All Rights Reserved

Do you guys like the book so far? (PS: I would like an answer to this question.)

Umm, there's a new POV in here. Don't worry about it. You'll understand once we get a bit into it. Just read and be happy. Let your worries go away:)

**********************

Matt's POV:

I sit in my office at my desk starring out the window at the pouring rain. My hair sticks out from how many times I've run my hand through it. The papers on my desk are numerous and cluttering. How the hell did she do it? How did she run the pack so well? And then of course, my thoughts drift to Abby. I can smell her orange-scented shampoo, still fresh from being out of the shower. I can feel her small hands on my back making my muscles loosen. I see her eyes--pale blue, soul-piercing eyes. Her lips work against mine in ways I'll never be able to experience with any other person.

But it's not just her physical attributes, although those were great, they weren't the reason I felt feelings for her. She was smart, funny, sarcastic, and strong. I don't think I would like it any other way. I was like some love sick puppy. I don't know why I did what I did when I'm around her. I can just feel my alpha side coming out, and I have to fight it. It wants to rip Abbigail apart. I won't let that happen. I have to keep control.

Because I love her.

In all this time that we've been together, even the first time I realized she was my mate, I loved her. How could I not? Yes, I had some problems with the whole fact that she left the pack, but the reasons were good. I wish she hadn't left to stay at the Park's. I had been such a jerk. Always was.

I couldn't help it. My alpha side just kicked in, and I had to do my best to restrict it. The only time I felt relief was when I was kissing her--when I had her in my arms. I feel like, if we were to fully mate, I would be able to control myself. Maybe that's what it takes. I can't handle not being around her. It just makes things worse. I know I hurt her by the way I act. I know it's wrong, but I just can't help it. And then it's like a whole different side of me comes out when she lets me close--those few moments we slept together, when I kiss her, when she lets me hold her close....

"Matt," Jake says from the door. I look up to see him standing there with more paperwork.

"Are you fucking kidding me?"

Jake shakes his head solemnly and walks over to my desk. He sets the papers down in the one spot that isn't covered in crap. We were looking for old treaties we might have made with the Dark Mountain pack in the past that would be useful, but the list of research just goes on and on.

"Looks like you got your hands full," Jake sighs. I nod while running a hand through my hair. "It would be nice to have..." he trails off.

I bite my lip. I know exactly what he was going to say. Abbigail knew about all this stuff. It was in her blood. If she were here, thing would be so much easier.

Not to mention I need an alpha female. I need Abby around because it's the alpha female's job to take care of the tribe. Now I have to do it all. I know Abby's not ready to let the tribe know about her. It's like sitting down to write an English report, and you didn't even read the book. Where do you start? How so you say it? What will people think?

I understand, but I NEED Abby back. I cannot function like this. Jake sighs and plops himself down in the chair across my desk.

"Penny for your thoughts?" he asks.

"I want her back..." I whisper with my eyes glued to the ground. Jake doesn't say anything for a while, and the air is starting to get thick and heavy.