Chapter Twenty-Four: Melissa's Shocking News

Start from the beginning

            I laughed. “Thank you, my good man,” I replied with a British accent of my own.”

            I went inside his car and waited for Garret. Seconds later, he went inside with a silly grin in his face. Before he could start the engine, he turned to me. “It’s okay if you wouldn’t like my gift.”

            I rolled my eyes. “I’m not picky. Just give me your gift. I’m sure it’s not going to be that bad.”

            He sighed and brought out a box inside his compartment. He gave it to me slowly as if he was thinking whether to give it to me or not. I grabbed the box from his hands and quickly opened it, wondering why Garret would think I wouldn’t like it.

            When I was done opening the box, a jewelry box met my eyes. I blinked. He gave me jewelry? “A bracelet?” I guessed, not opening it.

            Garret shook his head.

            “Necklace?”

            Again, he shook his head.

            “Uh… A ring?”

            He rolled his eyes. “Good God. Just open the freaking jewelry box and find out!”

            I gave him a look. “No need to be impatient.” Then I opened the jewelry box. I blinked. And then blinked again. Then blinked once more. Finally, I looked up at Garret. “An anklet? Like those people in India, Egypt and Arab countries wear?”

            He nodded. “Yeah, an anklet,” he replied. “If you want to know why, well, I made a research. People say if a guy ties an anklet on the girl’s ankle, it means the guy wants the girl to stay and not to run away from him – ever. I know you love me, Melanie, but sometimes I’m afraid that you’re going to run away. I’m afraid that you’re going to be like Annie, who would just leave me.” Then he took my hands on his. “I’m not asking much, Melanie. But if you are truly, sincerely, passionately, madly in love with me, please don’t run away.”

            A tear dropped from my eye then I quickly wiped it away. “I wouldn’t want to run away, Garret. I love you too much. Even you want to get rid of me, I will not leave you. I’d annoy the shit out of you whether you like it or not.”

            Garret smiled warmly and tucked a loose hair behind my ear. “I’d annoy the shit out of you, too.”

            I reached out for the anklet inside the jewelry box and handed it to him. “Would you please tie it on my ankle?”

            He nodded and took the anklet on his hands. I raised my right foot and placed it on his lap. He slowly attached the silver anklet on my ankle. When he was done, he trailed his fingers on my legs then rested on my knee. Then Garret looked at me right in the eye. “I love you, Melanie. I love you so much.”

            I smiled and grabbed his collar. “Well, I love you, too.”

            Garret leaned down and kissed my lips.

            So far, my Christmas day is great.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“Mom! Melanie’s here! Melanie’s here!”

            I quickly hopped out of Garret’s car and grabbed the paper bag. I ran to the front porch as the door swung open, revealing Melissa who was also wearing a red outfit. Both of us squealed and hugged each other tightly.