Chapter Five: My Conversation with Jasper

“Your Mom is calling you!” Xayranne hissed, tossing my phone to me and I barely caught it.

            “Damn,” I muttered as I pressed the Answer button. I gulped nervously and positioned my phone on my right ear. “Mo—?”

            “Melanie Alison Meyer! How dare you hang up on me just like that! Have you got any manners, young lady?”

            I sighed. In normal circumstances, I would have snapped at my Mom for being overreacting. But I guess I need to cut her some slack. For one thing, I left Chicago without texting her and for another, I didn’t tell her where I really am. “I’m sorry, Mom. But, trust me, I’m okay. I might stay here for the night again but I think I’ll be home tomorrow.”

            “Where exactly is here?” she snapped.

            “Um…”

            “Yes? I’m waiting!”

            I sighed impatiently. “I’m sorry; Mom, but I can’t really tell you. I’m not kidnapped, I’m not abused or something like that. I’m perfectly fine, I eat well and the people with me are really good.” Except they’re vampires, I silently added.

            “People? You mean you have company?”

            “Well, yes.”

            “Who?”

            I swallowed anxiously. “I… uh… I can’t tell you.”

            “Oh my God, Melanie, don’t tell me. Are you taking drugs or something?”

            “Mom!” I practically yelled at the phone. “Are you freaking kidding me?! Do you think I’m the type of girl who takes drugs?! Seriously?! Oh my God, Mom!”

            Flynn burst out laughing, Roxanne and Xayranne shared amused smiles and Garret raised an eyebrow and smirked at me. I gave each of them glares.

            “I’m sorry!” Mom apologized quickly. “You must forgive me if I think that you’re taking drugs. It’s just… you never run away from home or something. This is the first. Do you have a secret boyfriend or something?”

            I sighed. “No, Mom. The only guy I’ve interacted with my whole life is Dad and Jasper.”

            “Fine. I won’t bug you anymore. It’s pretty clear you don’t want to tell me so I won’t force you. But you got to talk to your friends—Jasper and Amanda. They are worried sick and they wanted to talk to you. And, yeah, Melissa, too. Hold on, she’s here—.”

            I heard a new familiar voice on the phone. “Oh my God, Melanie, where the hell are you?! Mom and I were worried sick! We thought you’re kidnapped by those serial killers!” Melissa ranted.

            “I’m fine, seriously. I’m okay, I’m safe. Don’t call the police. I’m not kidnapped or in danger. Hopefully, I’ll be back tomorrow.”

            “Hopefully? What do you mean?”

            I sighed. “I don’t know how long I’ll stay here.”

            “But—but I thought you’re not kidnapped?”

            “No, Melissa. I’m not. I just don’t have the right to go away or something,” I tried explaining. How can I lie to my little sister this way? Melissa and I were always so close even though we’re completely different people. She’s the more outgoing one. She’s a cheerleader and has a lot of boyfriends. However, I’m the ‘normal’ one with only two close friends. Melissa has, like, thirty-five. But even though we’re different kind of people, Meyer girls stick together.