Chapter Twenty-Seven: Disadvantages of Being Kidnapped

Garret opened his eyes slowly. He winced at the sudden brightness and blinked twice before opening his eyes fully. He was lying on a bed and his shoulder hurt like hell. He was inside a room – a hospital room no doubt.

            The door suddenly opened and the Queen came in. Garret’s heart began to pound quickly in his chest. He’s sure Flynn had already told her about everything – everything he had been hiding from her for eighteen years.

            Lillian closed the door behind her and glanced at the bed. When she saw Garret awake, she smiled briefly, but it doesn’t quite reached her eyes. Then she plopped herself down on a chair beside Garret’s bed.

            “You’re awake,” she whispered quietly.

            “Yeah… I am. Aren’t you going to tell the doctor or a nurse?”

            She hesitated then shook her head. “Not yet. I want you to answer my questions, Garret. And please, be truthful this time.”

            Garret gulped; he knew this was coming sooner or later. “You have every right to throw me in jail. Or better yet, kill me.”

            “Melanie would hate me if I would do that. And now, realizing that she really is my daughter, I wouldn’t want her to hate me. Besides, all I want now is to have my daughter on my side.” Then her eyes turned hard and cold. It was something Garret never expected to see from her. “But if it was up to me, I’d leave you in the jail to rot your entire life.”

            “I deserve that.”

            “Yes, you do.”

            “But believe me when I say I’m sorry for what I have done—”

            “Sorry doesn’t cut it!” she snapped. Garret flinched. “Do you think I would easily forgive you for lying at me? Do you think it was easy to live eighteen years without knowing where your daughter – your only daughter! – is? You don’t know how I felt, Garret. You don’t know the pain… the hurt… everything! You just don’t!”

            For a moment, there was silence. Garret just stayed there while Lillian was glaring at him with all her might. “Lillian, I’m really, really sorry. I know you can’t forgive me for the sin I have done but… I was young then. Young, immature and greedy. I wanted the power, the wealth, the popularity. But everything had changed, Lillian. I fell in love with Melanie… Felicia… your daughter. I fell in love – hard. I love her and I don’t want to hurt her. But… I think I already did.”

            Lillian suddenly stood up and looked down at me, expressionless. “If ever my daughter would come back, Garret – and I hope she does – I wouldn’t want you to be with her anymore. You’re no good for her. She doesn’t deserve you. Everything Melanie experienced… it was too much for her. And it’s all your fault. That’s why I don’t want you to be with her anymore. When she comes back, I’d drag her to London if it’s the last thing I do.”

            With that, Lillian turned and left the room. Garret just stared at the empty space on the chair where, just seconds ago, Lillian sat.

            When she comes back, I’d drag her to London if it’s the last thing I do. The sentence keeps repeating over and over again inside his head. No, Melanie wouldn’t leave him. Melanie loved him. She wouldn’t just leave him…

            Would she?

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*