Although Jeno knows Jaemin is simply trying to dissuade him from going out to search for answers, he can't help but feel the need to find out what exactly Jaemin has in mind. Were these terms more restrictive of his personal activities? Did they involve specifications for his pay? Would these terms involve how long he would have to serve him?

As much as Jeno hated the idea of being around Jaemin for one second longer, perhaps he could convince the latter to shorten his contract.

"Fine," Jeno answers in a monotone, earning a relieved smile from Jaemin.

"Brilliant," he responds as he waves his hand towards the door, "After you."

••••

Jaemin sits rather comfortably in his upholstered chair across from Jeno. He leans back with his fingers interlaced, staring with a faint grin at Jeno. Meanwhile, the latter sits up straight with his fingernails digging into the arms of his own chair. He waits impatiently for Jaemin to speak, but they simply sit in silence in his library as they have been for several minutes now.

The door abruptly opens and Jisung enters with a silver tray in his arms. He cautiously waltzes towards the two and sets the tray down gently on a small table beside Jaemin's chair. He takes a porcelain teapot and begins pouring the dark, steaming liquid into two teacups. He takes the first and carries it cautiously over to Jaemin before turning towards Jeno and cocking his head slightly to the side.

"Sugar?" he offers.

"Two, please," Jeno requests, to which he earns a respectful nod, and Jisung quickly tends to his cup.

After stirring in the requested amount of sugar, the boy hurriedly shuffles over to Jeno and hands him his tea. Jeno murmurs a 'thank you' and takes a sip of the bitter drink as he waits for Jaemin to speak; which, thankfully, isn't very long.

Jaemin murmurs to Jisung, and the younger boy bows to him. He then scurries out of the room, leaving the two alone once more.

"What are your housing arrangements?" he finally asks.

Jeno purses his lips, feeling uneasy as he instantly gets an idea of what Jaemin was up to.

"I live in whatever lodging is closest to the job I acquire at the time," Jeno responds truthfully, "A permanent residence has never really been an option I can afford, nor something I have particularly considered as much work is not centralized in any specific town."

Jaemin's eyebrows raise significantly at this revelation. He stares in utter shock for several long seconds before speaking once more.

"Those places are hardly sanitary! Much less a safe place to sleep!"

"Not everyone is as privileged as to be able to stay in a hotel," Jeno retorts.

Jaemin shakes his head with an air of disappointment. He takes a sip of his tea before setting it beside him on the small table.

"Perhaps it is in your best interest to stay here with me," Jaemin fixes his cup tediously.

"I would much rather stay in the lodging, sir," Jeno denies as he sips his tea, earning a miffed scowl from Jaemin.

"It was not a suggestion," he fires back in a dull tone, "I have a spare bedroom just across the hall from myself, and it would cost you nothing to stay. It is a much safer place to live, and the less money you waste on a room means more money saved for later. So...what do you say?"

Jeno raises an eyebrow at Jaemin, uncomprehending of why he was so adamant on being so close despite the tribulations they have been dealing with all night.

"I came in to negotiate the terms of my contract, not to discuss moving in with you while I work alongside you," Jeno taps his fingertips against the porcelain of his teacup.

"I beg to differ. I think that your living arrangements being added to the perks of working with me are very much a related topic of discussion," Jaemin remarks, "What else is there that you expected to negotiate?"

"I expected to discuss shortening my contract or otherwise voiding it all together," Jeno huffs.

"I am sorry, but that is not up for discussion. You have already signed the binding contract and therefor will work with me for a minimum of six months while the deranged killer is on the loose. Longer if he has not vanished or been caught by the end of that time," Jaemin sighs, "And trust me when I say I will not hesitate to take action against you, should you not fulfill your end of the deal."

"And what? Tell a judge that the terms of our contract are to dig up graves?" Jeno counters with a grin, "I hardly think that's a good move for you or your hospital."

Jaemin chuckles lightly, causing Jeno's confidence to diminish at an exponential rate.

"You clearly did not read the contract thoroughly," he responds, "The circumstances in which you're supposed to assist me are on nightly escorts to and from the hospital as well as any errands I must run for the hospital. Without a valid reason for wanting to break the terms of our contract, I do not see you getting out of this that easily."

Jeno begins to feel backed into a corner. Desperation overtakes him as he blurts out:

"And if I tell them what it is you're doing?"

Jaemin's smirk doesn't fall, but the look in his eyes grows dark.

"Now, Jeno...why would you want to risk doing that?"

Jeno purses his lips together tightly. He knows he wouldn't expose Jaemin for exhuming bodies, but the fact not even that intimidated the man causes Jeno's blood to boil.

"I will let you ponder this offer for the next twenty four hours. When we meet again, I expect you to have a decision," Jaemin announces in a voice which sounds largely indifferent, "As an added incentive, I'll throw in an extra few hundred a month to pay for any expenses you may have for the cost of living. But only if you stay here."

"Why only if I stay?" Jeno asks.

"Because to turn down my offer is to show that you are in no need of help. If you are in no need of help, then there is no need for me to extend my generosity towards you," Jaemin answers, "Understood?"

Jeno nods hesitantly, trying his best to avoid making eye contact with the man.

"Yes," he murmurs.

"Good. Now, unless you have anything else to say, then-"

"I'll do it," Jeno cuts him off, instantly feeling discontent with himself over hastily taking up Jaemin's offer as the latter shoots him a delighted look, "I will stay here if it is what you wish. If I am to be bound to this contract, I could at least utilize the incentives of free rent and accept the extra pay...As much as I hate admitting it, I could use it."

Jaemin beams at him with a brilliant, toothy smile that Jeno couldn't quite determine if it made him want to punch the man or...or...well, he couldn't quite put his finger on what else he imagined doing.

"Brilliant!" he chimes happily, "Have Jisung take you to your lodging and help you pick up your things. When you return, he will show you to your room."

Jeno swallows hard, despising how Jaemin was getting exactly what he wanted.

"Th...thank you, Jaemin," Jeno winces as he just barely manages to get the words out.

"You're very welcome. Now, you best be on your way. The sooner you fetch your belongings, the sooner you can turn in for the day," Jaemin hums.

With a slight bow, Jeno stands from his chair. He drags his feet as he shuffles towards the small table beside Jaemin and sets his cup down beside his. His eyes flicker to Jaemin, finding him beaming back at him with a content smile. Jeno turns away immediately and promptly leaves the library to find Jisung.