Chapter Thirty-six: At last (Part one)

Start from the beginning

'That proves absolutely nothing! These are all part of standard health monitoring procedures.'

Are you feeling okay, voice?

'Yes, I am fine. Just do me a favor, don't say anything stupid.'

Well, then at least suggest a safe topic for me to talk about... I could talk about the weather, but there isn't much to say. Oh, I know, what about this new movie...

"Maeva, they all know."

...the way the girl is presented in the trailer is quite interesting. It's not every day that you... Wait a second, is that Daniel?

I almost do not recognize him because of the new style he's rocking. Last time I saw him, his camel coat had room for three more human beings, and a perfect man bun was proudly hanging on his head. I've always envied him for pulling off such gorgeous looks, while I stuck to my good old jeans and white shirt. It's all about the 'je ne sais quoi' factor, he once told me while braiding my hair. I did not get it at the time, I do not get it now, and I strongly believe that I never will, so why even bother?!

'Yes, the guy knows how to dress and you don't, but can we please focus on what he just said?'

"Know what?" I ask while praying that he breaks into a smile and says that he was only kidding. Please let it be something else, please let it be something else...

"Your heart." I freeze at his response, not knowing what to do next. Tears stream down my mother's cheeks which reminds me of painful times I tried hard not to witness again.

Suddenly, and in the midst of a sea of worried gazes, a knock breaks the silence and so the audience I've earned myself is taken away.

"Excuse me, everyone. I'm Dr. Lee. Can I please have a word with Miss Anderson?" The woman definitely knows how to make an entrance, because the moment she sets foot in the room, everyone's eyes turn to her, which gives me the time to catch my breath and pray a bit more for this nightmare to be over.

Mark squeezes my hand and plants a kiss on it before exiting the room. As it gets less crowdy, I feel a terrible sting of loneliness, and so I call my father, "Dad, can you stay with me?"

Mom looks at me, hoping I'd also ask her to stay, but I remain silent because I know she'd get overwhelmed when she hears the conversation, even though she already knows what's wrong with me.

Michael is the last one to leave the room, but before he steps out, he stops next to the doctor and asks her while pointing at her slightly bumped belly: "Boy or girl?" She answers the latter which turns his beam of hope into a scowl. "I guess I'll have to keep the balloon for myself," he says as he storms out of the room.

"Maeva, I am the resident cardiologist here. I just got off the phone with Dr. Richardson," I nod, and dad takes my hand to try and contain its shakiness. "There is no need to be scared," she points out as she's probably noticed my increased heartbeat on the monitor. "I only need you to answer some questions."

"Do you know what Atrial fibrillation is?" She asks and I reply almost instantly, considering the innumerable articles I've read about that awful thing that's taken over my life. "Good, any family heart history?" I take a deep breath then explain:

"My grandmother, on my mother's side."

~~~~~~○ five years earlier ○~~~~~~

"Maeva, give me the almond flour!" orders nana, her elbows resting on the table as she weighs the ingredients she's been sifting for the past hour.