Chapter Nine: I see a mule!

Maeva's point of view.

Friends. You miss them when they're away, and sometimes you wonder why you're still tolerating them. I've never really had good social skills. Mainly because I always preferred books over people, romcoms over flings, chocolate over...basically everything. When I was still in high school, I never made any friends or even tried getting into the cobwebs of society. The moment I set foot in this neighborhood, however, I was thrown in a social circle I never imagined myself being part of.

Julia almost forced herself into my life. Being her nice and loveable self, she rapidly became the friend I never knew I needed, the sister I never had the chance to grow up with. They say old habits die hard, though. Mine are definitely no exception, and so whenever the occasion calls for me to crawl back into my shell and plunge into the never-ending waves of silky chocolate, I'd gladly give in to my good old introvert persona.

"You saw Mark, yesterday?" I nod as I intently fix the mosquito that's been roaming in the room for the past hour. Julia sits on a chair her legs crossed, and if only she had a notepad, I would've bet my onesie that she was trying to play "shrink". You see, after yesterday's not so pleasant surprise, James and she thought it would be better for me to go out and have fun at Michael's bar. Only I had other plans in mind.

"Are you going to stay in that onesie? You need to get out of bed!" Burying my head under a pillow, I groan in annoyance and wish I hadn't told her about her brother's scene. Why is it so hard to understand that I need to stay in my room and read a nice Greek tragedy? And since I'm feeling a little adventurous, I might even spice things up and get the triple chocolate sublime ice-cream bucket...

"Jules, you don't understand! I love being like this." I flash my puppy eyes at her, but she seems unmoved as the doorbell resonates in the entire house. Anthony screams that he'll answer it, and so I take the opportunity to sink further under the sheets. What a lovely feeling it is to be engulfed in a cotton cloud!

Less than a minute later, accelerated footsteps are heard and they seem to be getting louder by the second. As the floor slightly shakes with every step taken, I cock my head away from the pillow castle and find Julia grinning on the edge of her seat when the door slams open. Not knowing what to expect, I look at whoever broke into my lair, and choke on air when seeing a familiar miss, wrathfully looking at me.

How on earth did she manage to create her own little earthquake with those skinny legs of hers? Although I have no doubt that the density of the venom stocked in her can reduce a building to dust, I find it hard to get over the waves I felt in my bones.

"Why am I the last person to know she's back?" Julia shrugs in amusement, and suddenly, all eyes are shifted on me. Was I supposed to print out flyers and dump them all over town from a chopper? I guess that with all the drama that's been going for the past two days, I did forget to do a couple of mandatory things. Calling Kimberly was on top of the list, of course.