Screws Fall Out All The Time

Vernon walked in.

"Why is that door closed!? Why is that door closed!?"

"How're we supposed to know, we're not supposed to move right?" John asked.

Vernon turned to Claire.

"Who?"

"Uh, we're just sitting here, like we're supposed to."

He turned to Brian.

"Who closed that door!?"

Brian's eyes widened. Vernon turned to Allison.

"I think a screw fell out of it," John said.

"Who!?"

She squeaked and plumped her head down.

"She doesn't talk sir," John said.

Vernon walked to John.

"Give me that screw!"

"I don't have it."

"You want me to yank you out of that seat and shake it out of you!?"

"I don't have it, screws fall out all the time, the world's an imperfect place."

"Give it to me Bender! Or...maybe your sister has it!"

"Excuse me sir, why would anybody wanna steal a screw?" Claire asked.

"Watch it young lady!"

He walked to the door, put a foldable chair in front of it. 

"The door's way too heavy sir," John said.

He let it go and it slammed.

"Damn it!"

We tried not to laugh.

"Andrew Clarke! Get up here, come on front and center, let's go!"

Andrew walked to him.

"Hey, how come Andrew gets to get up? If he gets up, we'll all get up, it'll be anarchy!" John said.

"Watch the magazines."

"It's out of my hands."

They were pushing a shelf in front of the door. Dumb move.

"That's very clever sir, but what if there's a fire, violating fire codes and endangering the lives of children would be unwise at this juncture in your career sir," John said.

Vernon turned to Andrew.

"What are you doing, what are you doing!? Get this out of her for God's sake!"

Brian turned to John.

"You know the school comes equipped with fire exits at either end of the library."

"Show Dick some respect!"

Vernon and Andrew walked back to us.

"Go on, get back in your seat."

Andrew sat down.

"I expected a little more from a varsity letterman."

He turned to my brother.

"You're not fooling anybody Bender, the next screw that falls out is gonna be you and your sister."

"Eat my shorts," John murmured.

"What was that?"

Vernon walked to John's table.

"Eat. My Shorts."

"You just bought yourself anther Saturday mister."

"Ugh, I'm crushed."

"You just bought yourself another one!"

"Well I'm free the Saturday after that and beyond that I'm gonna have to check my calendar."

"Good, cause It's gonna be filled! We'll keep going! Say the word, just say the word, instead of going to prison you'll come here! You through?"

"No!"

"I'm doing society a favor!"

"So!"

"You got another one! I got you for the rest of your natural born life if you don't watch your step! You want another one!?"

"Yes!"

"You got it! That's another one, that's another one pal!"

"Cut it out Bro!"

"Cut it out!"

Me and Claire shouted at the same time. Claire mouthed for him to stop.

"You through?"

"Not even close bub!"

"That's another one!"

"You really think I give a shit?"

"Another!"

The looks exchanged between my big brother and Mr. Vernon were so intense, I wanted to get up and walk away. Dad and John share the same look all the time. I bowed my head down.

"You through?"

"How many is that?"

Brian spoke up.

"That's seven including the one where you asked Mr. Vernon here if Barry Manilow raided his closet."

"Now it's eight. You stay out of this!"

"Excuse me sir, it's seven."

"Shut up peewee!"

He turned to me.

"You're gonna end up like your brother in the future, I know you will!"

"No sir, you're wrong, I'm nothing like him."

"No, I'm right, I'm always right. You are like his twin! You two are partners in crime!"

Vernon walked from the tables.

"You're mind Bender, for two months I got you, I got you."

"What can I say, I'm thrilled."

"You wanna know something Bender, you should start spending more time making something of yourself and a little less time trying to impress people, you might be better off. Alright that's it, I'm gonna be right outside those doors, next time I have to come in here I'm cracking skulls!"

Vernon started walking, when the door shut...

"Fuck you!" John yelled.

We were all silent.

"Fuck," John whispered to himself.

Should I leave him alone? Should I give him a big hug? I don't know! He might not be in the mood. John loves me more than anything in the world, he would never treat me the way Mom and Dad treats us, he actually has a damn part time job to put our own food in our bellies. He said he was also saving up for something big. Screw it. I slowly walked to him and placed my hand on his shoulder, he tensed up for a second then realized it was me. I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him, he placed his hand on my arm hugging me back.