Corruption

Opening the back door as the cat was pawing and meowing at the glass, Tako calmly walked in before purring and rubbing against my legs.

  "Has your dad called?" Akira asked Miki as she was laying on the couch, and she shook her head.

  "Did you find anything?" She questioned while sitting up.

  "I'll ask him." He pulled out his phone and began to text.

  "You mean Ryo?"

  "He can probably help." The black-haired boy said as I picked up the cat.

  "What kind of person is he?"

  "I met Ryo at a pier." Akira replied as the cat was purring and rubbing his head into my palm. "He was all wet and rolled up. He was there just like an abandoned kitten."

  "So, you became his friend, huh?"

  "Maybe I was lonely, too." He spoke with a low voice while putting the phone away. The cat in my arms meowed, and my brows furrowed when I saw the inside of his mouth was green.

  "Did you eat something out there?" I mumbled while glancing at the backyard. I didn't really see anything that stood out, but I was worried nonetheless. "Miki, Tako's mouth is green."

  "Oh, he probably ate a bunch of grass again. He'll be fine." She smiled, but I wasn't so sure.

  "Okay...." Setting the cat back down, he trotted off to the kitchen.

  "He replied already." Akira held up his phone after it went off. "He found them!" The boy grinned while showing a map on his phone. "Your mom is at the park in Ebisu. Tell that to your dad. Tell him we'll meet at the park."

  "That's amazing!" Miki smiled.

  "Do you need me to go with?" I asked.

  "No, I have some friends that can help." He winked at me, and I knew he probably meant Koda and Ryo.

  "Be careful." I told him.

  "Of course." Akira walked over and pecked me on the cheek. "I'll be back as soon as I find them, okay?"

  "Okay. I love you."

  "I love you, too." He warmly smiled before kissing me and going to the door. Sighing, I couldn't help but worry since the military was heavy in that area and there was no telling for certain why Miki's mother had run with Taro.

  "He'll find them." Miki smiled.

~

  "What happened, Akira?!" Miki shouted, and I jumped up from the couch to go to the front door. Miko was there, helping him walk as he wore her jacket over a heavily bandaged chest.

  "Akira!"

  "He tried to save me, and...." Miko trailed off.

  "Miko, glad to see you. I've been worried. You haven't been at school." Miki said as I stood in front of Akira and saw the look on his face. '....Oh, no.' I thought, knowing that sadness in his eyes.

  "Sorry. There's a lot going on."

  "Mm. We've had a lot going on, too. Come in." Miki waved her hand, and Miko set down her bag. Some stuff fell out and she calmly picked them back up to put them back in the bag.

  "Hey, you." The other guys came in and one gave Akira a fist bump. "Where's her dad?"

  "Miki...." The brunette girl next to Akira began. "Your family-" The black-haired boy stopped her as he raised his head. His entire face was full of sorrow now.