eight - nine

A/N

My editor nefelibatanSoul is currently unavailable (lol), so this chapter is unedited. So lemme know if you see any mistakes, and uh, I hope you like this.

I'm excited!!!

....

When my senses returned and I realized I was put under heavy sedatives, I thought I was in Their custody. I wasn’t sure how to react to that – I knew it was coming; you could only avoid karma (lol) for so long.

Instead, much to my surprise, I realized I was in police custody. The familiar voice of Inspector Ivory came floating to my ears and I had to blink a couple of times to properly see my surroundings. I was in a glass cage, a few hundred feet above the ground. I wasn’t cuffed, but the sedative made everything fuzzy and I could barely force myself to sit up.

“I need to go out there and help the people,” someone was saying, outside the cell.

“You will do as you are told,” Ivory said. “You are to stay here and make sure Gravel does not escape.”

“He can’t escape,” the boy, clearly her junior said, then added hesitantly, “Can he?”

Ivory laughed. “Not this time, Kitt.” I wanted to roll my eyes. “But that doesn’t mean you can abandon your post. Am I clear?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Kitt said.

When I finally looked up, Ivory was gone and a young boy in that stupid cop uniform stood outside the cell, trying to glare daggers at me.

I gave him a smirk. “Hey!”

He stood up straight and turned his head away. Satan, I hated these newbies! They had no manners whatsoever.

“What day is it?” I asked.

He didn’t reply.

“Oh Kitt, for Satan’s sake, stop being an asshole –”

“Oh, I’m an asshole?” he snapped, finally turning to look at me. “You are a filthy mass murderer.”

I pushed myself to a comfortable position, leaning against one of the glass walls. “Thanks for the input, I had almost forgotten my designation.”

He pressed his lips into a thin line and looked away again.

“Listen, Kitt, I have nothing against you. I know you’re just doing your job. Trust me, I’m just doing mine. Tell me what’s going on out there –”

“People are dying, that’s what’s happening out there,” he shouted. “Over a hundred people died in less than an hour, and I know, while I’m here babysitting you, a hundred more are dying. Super Storm was the only one who had any chance of saving us and now he’s gone and –”

My blood ran cold as my brain slowly registered his words. “What do you mean he’s gone?”

Kitt shook his head like he was trying to get rid of a bad dream. “After he knocked you out and handed you over to Inspector Ivory, he went in to fight your sidekick. No one’s heard from him since, and the attacks are just increasing. So, congratulations on your success, Mr. Gravel.”

“It’s just Gravel,” I said absentmindedly. It could not be. There was no way Garnet could overpower Super Storm. I had fought him enough times to know exactly what he was capable of.

Suddenly, another thought struck me. “Storm wasn’t the one who knocked me out,” I said.

“Yeah, whatever,” Kitt replied.

I pushed myself to my feet, losing my balance twice in the process. “You – you have to let me out.”

Kitt looked at me. “Yes, of course, sir, do you want anything else with it? Maybe some tea?”

I wanted to knock that idiot senseless. “There is no time for jokes. You have to let me out. I – I have to go stop Garnet.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Kitt nodded. “Good luck, go ahead.” He went and took a seat by the side of the cell and I knew talking to him was futile.

I took a deep breath and looked down at my shaking hands. I couldn’t feel my powers at all. I needed to get rid of the sedative.

I looked around the glass cell. The cops try to be unpredictable, but having spent innumerable hours in jail, I had learned all their patterns. There was a small opening at the top of the glass cell, barred by a metal net, which was the only source of ventilation, as well as the means through which they were keeping me drugged. Closing it off was the only way to get out of there.

I walked towards it, trying not to look suspicious. The sedative had weakened my senses, thus I was unable to summon the earth from so high up – the cops knew this very well. But there was no drug I had encountered till date that could stop the fire; the fire was always there, whether I wanted it or not.

I quickly looked at Kitt to find him busy on his phone. Lol, he was so getting fired!

I stood on tiptoes and placed my hand over the metal frame of the ventilation pipe. It took me some added effort to get to the right temperature, but soon enough the metal was melting and I made it into a clot-like structure so that it would block the end of the pipe.

The work was done in less than a minute. I stepped back to examine my work. The metal was glowing red but it would cool down soon enough, cutting off the air supply and thus the sedative.

My victory was short lived because Kitt cried out suddenly, “Hey! What did you do?”

I turned to him. “What did I do?”

But he already had his mouth-piece in hand, hurriedly calling for backup, or whatever. Once done, he took out his gun and stood pointing it at me. He was scared, I could tell.

“There’s no need for that,” I said, unsure of whether or not the glass was bulletproof. “I was just checking the –”

The sound of glass cracking forced me to shut up. I turned around to see giant roots crawling their way out of the floor and onto the walls of my cell.

“What are you doing?” Kitt cried frantically. “STOP IT!”

I stood frozen as the roots kept growing and growing, until one side of the glass cage shattered, so did the entire floor to that side, leaving me and Kitt staring at the sky outside.

Kitt opened fire – at what I knew he did not know. The very next moment two creepers had wound its way around his throat and the firing stopped instantaneously as he fell to the ground without so much as a last cry for help.

My whole body had gone numb and I knew it wasn’t because of the sedative. I could feel my heartbeat thundering in my ears as an all too familiar boy rose up to the surface, the tendrils and roots encircling his hands and waist as if he were a king – in a very twisted way, I knew he was.

He smiled when he saw me. “Hey, babe.”