Ch. 64 Honoured Lady

Start from the beginning

She only peeked a little before turning back around. However, what she saw didn’t please her. Her hands were already clenched into two tight fists.

An uncontrollable amount of envy and jealousy flooded her mind.

Third Sister-in-Law had gotten such a great honour simply by going to Prince Wei’s estate. If she had known earlier about it, she would have surely followed along with Third Sister-in-Law when she went to Prince Wei’s estate. Perhaps then she would be the one mentioned in this imperial decree, rather than Chu Lian.

This Honoured Lady title personally bestowed by the Emperor would have been hers. After building a strong connection with Prince Wei’s estate, even if she could no longer produce any more children, Dalang wouldn’t be allowed to take any concubines.

Though Chu Lian was kneeling behind Madam Zou, she could sense that something wasn’t quite right with her eldest sister-in-law’s emotional state. However, she was unable to observe her and figure out why. She could only guess at the thoughts running through Madam Zou’s head right now.

When the high-ranked eunuch had finished reading the imperial decree, he lifted the scroll with both hands and a wide smile. “Honoured Lady Jinyi, please rise and receive the decree!”

Xiyan quickly helped Chu Lian stand up, and Chu Lian walked up to the front of the crowd. She then received the yellow imperial decree from the high-ranked eunuch with both hands.

“We’ve troubled you.”

The high-ranked eunuch carefully looked over this newly minted Honoured Lady Jinyi. A hint of befuddlement entered his eyes. He hadn’t expected that this Honoured Lady Jinyi would be so young. She looked like she had just recently come of age.

Honoured Lady Jinyi wasn’t even wearing a speck of powder on her natural, lovely face. When she smiled, it felt like a warm spring breeze. She rated highly just on her looks alone, and seemed particularly matching with He Sanlang the Fair.

By the time Chu Lian had received her decree, Matriarch He had already risen to her feet, supported by a few servants. She shot a look behind her at Senior Servant Liu, and Senior Servant Liu brought out a deep blue purse from her sleeve, passing it over to the high-ranked eunuch who had announced the good news.

The eunuch smiled and accepted it.

Matriarch He started to exchange pleasantries with the high-ranked eunuch. It turned out that he had served by the Empress Dowager’s side before, and Matriarch He had seen him once or twice while visiting the Dowager.

It was at this moment that a younger eunuch walked out from behind the high-ranked eunuch and slightly bowed towards Chu Lian.

“This servant greets Honoured Lady Jinyi.”

Chu Lian’s brows were slightly furrowed as she turned to look at this young eunuch. He was tall and slender with a high nose bridge. While his facial features were handsome on their own, when they were placed all together on his face, it just seemed a little… off.

Though the eunuch’s words were full of respect, Chu Lian could see the disdain he held in his eyes.

“May I ask what business you have with me?”