Ch. 63 Poached Fish Slices

Start from the beginning

When Chu Lian saw that they were willing to try out the chillis, and she couldn’t hold back the smile on her lips. She stepped aside and let them reach into the basin.

The younger maidservants took one dried chilli each. After glancing at it once or twice, without asking about its flavour, they shoved it straight into their mouths.

In less than two seconds, their throats were on fire! They quickly spat out the chillis and rushed into the kitchen to find some water to drink.

Senior Servants Gui and Zhong had watched the whole affair from the side. They were shocked silly when the maidservants took off. What… what just happened?!

Senior Servant Gui wanted to follow after the maidservants to see if they were okay, but Chu Lian held her back while trying to suppress her smile. “Momo, it’s okay, they’ll be fine. All they did was eat a chilli. Their tongues must be burning from the spiciness! They’ll be just fine after drinking a few cups of cold water.”

After finishing her explanation, Chu Lian couldn’t help but burst out into laughter. Senior Servant Gui relaxed after hearing this. However, she shot a weird look at her young madam, who had been so mischievous as to prank the younger girls.

Senior Servant Zhong turned around and quickly instructed some other maidservants to fetch cold water for the girls in the kitchen to drink.

When the younger maidservants returned, their eyes were red and full of tears. They shot pathetic looks at Chu Lian like they had been bullied.

Chu Lian purposely kept her expression straight, scolding them, “Let’s see if you’ll dare to eat before thinking the next time! If you ever do something wrong, the punishment from now on will be to eat a whole bowl of these chillis!”

The younger maidservants quickly bowed their heads, not daring to make a peep. Even the expressions of Senior Servants Gui and Zhong instantly turned serious.

Actually, Chu Lian had phrased her words like this on purpose.

Two days ago, for He Sanlang’s package, Xiyan and the rest had taken her snacks and Senior Servant Gui had taken her wine without asking for her permission. Furthermore, ever since they had started cooking their own food to eat, since her recipes were so good, there would be some food missing from time to time. Chu Lian had only pretended not to notice, but recently, they had started overstepping their bounds too much.

Although Xiyan and Senior Servant Gui had been acting on her behalf when giving away her snacks and wine for He Sanlang’s package, they had to have rules in place. She was the actual mistress of Songtao Court, after all, and that was only within this courtyard. Outside was still the hierarchy of the larger Jing’an Estate.

It might be a small matter to take some food, but she couldn’t let bad habits like this fester. Letting it pass would eventually lead to the servants becoming bolder and greedier. Chu Lian took this chance to knock some sense back into the servants of her courtyard, clearly asserting her stance. She was going to punish anyone who overstepped their bounds again, and even Senior Servant Gui was not exempt from this rule.

Chu Lian’s eyes swept over the gathered servants. After sensing that her warning had been taken seriously, she relaxed and her expression returned to her warm and friendly self.

“Fuyan, go and see if there’s any fish in the kitchen today. Wenlan, Mingyan, bring out two more basins to keep these chillis. Jingyan, bring me some sesame, garlic, scallions, and ginger.”