Chapter 3

Sage was really terrified to the bones. The blindfolds gave her a severe case of  claustrophobia, which caused her to heave wheezing breaths in and out till she became light-headed. If the blindfold wasn't removed soon, she would pass out from fear...

...

L, meanwhile, was furiously writhing in his binds. The stupid ritual had to be repeated endlessly, a tirade of whimpering children to be fed to him as friendship bait. This girl was no different, still a child, still fresh meat. He could fool himself into thinking that she would eventually get over the wall of protection he had over his introverted heart, and he always fooled himself. This was his ultimate weakness.

He easily removed the binds from his hands, carefully unlooping the same loops that the non-creative initiators always used. He rubbed his wrists, which were slightly raw from the friction, then removed the blindfold to the cool night air. L let his eyes close and relax, he needn't have to rush.

...

Sage felt a pair of cool hands untie her wrists and instantly constricted. She could hyper-sense ever minute touch of skin and was very bothered by it. 

"You can stop shivering, you'll be free soon enough." L spoke calmly.

But she couldn't. She was nervous, aware, and frightened of the possibilites. Alone. In the woods. With this stranger of a person.

As L removed her blindfolds, she could see a hint of a remorseful look in his eyes, with a dash of potential kindness in lips. Maybe she was just lonely and hopeful.

... 

He couldn't stop staring at her bambi-like demeanor. How could any person resemble a caricature so much? Even though she was drenched in sweat, her eyes were dialated, and she barely resembled a female, he found himself glancing in .01 second spurts.

...

He might not have been able to see it, what with his eyes jogging, but Sage was looking at him curiously too, though not for any similar reason.  She couldn't fathom what was wrong with his eyes, it was as if a bobble head never stopped shaking, left and right and left and right and back again.

He finally caught her staring intensely at him, and resigned to blushing profusely. Sage accepted this as a victory and inched closer to him.