Chapter Ten: The Children Who Share Birthdays

It was my 18th birthday.

Our 18th birthday.

I quietly got out of bed and snuck downstairs, where I saw that Y/N had already set up something. I smiled.

"Happy birthday, Five!" she said. I smiled and hugged her. "Happy birthday, Y/N." I said into her shoulder. She giggled. "I've got a whole party planned out. I hope it's okay that I invited your siblings." she said and looked to the floor.

My smile dropped but then rose again. She did this all for me so I should at the very least let them come. "It's cool." I said brushing off the fact that I really don't want them there.

"I've got Peanut butter and Marshmallow sandwiches in the kitchen!" she said and smiled. I giggled and we walked to the kitchen together.

In the kitchen, we don't only find the sandwiches, but we also find Vanya and Diego sitting on the counter. The corners of my mouth round into a small smile.

"Happy birthday, Five!" they said and smiled. I walked over to them and hugged them. "Happy Birthday to you too." I said, smiling. They giggled. "She's really changed you, hasn't she?" Diego started as I pulled away from them and stood next to Y/N who handed me a sandwich.

"You used to never acknowledge your birthday like this, you always used to hate it." Diego said. I look at Y/N and smiled. "I guess she has. She's changed me for the better." I say and she blushed.

"It's nice to know that you think of me so highly." she giggled. The doorbell rang and I rannto answer it.

"Five! It's so good to see you! Happy Birthday my boy!" Y/N's fathers said at the same time. They wrapped me in a hug. I smiled. "Thank you." I said and let them inside.

Y/N squealed as she ran to hug her father's. I smiled. "I missed you two so much!" she said while they hugged her. "We missed you to, sweetie." Brendon said and kissed her forehead.

"I'm sorry that I've been gone for so long. Five needs me, he doesn't have anyone else. And I-I think I like Him." she whispered. I giggled and Ryan jumped up and down out of pure joy.

"I ship it I ship it I ship it!" he squealed. "I'm right here you know." I said, leaning against the door frame. Y/N turned red and Brendon punches Ryan, making him stop. I smiled.

"You're all looking at me as if I said that I hated Y/N. I don't." I said, walking over to her. I put a hand on her waist and with the other I tilted her head up so our eyes met.

"I think she's the most wonderful, most beautiful, most inspirational person I know. She deserves the whole world. She's always been with me through thick and thin and I would take anyone," I said, pausing for dramatic effect.

"anyone's life for her. I wouldn't want any harm to come to your daughter. I will always protect her, no matter what."

She wrapped my pinky around hers. "No matter what." she repeats. A promise. "No matter what." I said, raising our hands to our chests.

She wrapped me in a hug. "I think Five likes her." Brendon whispered to Ryan. I looked at them over her shoulder and nodded. Ryan covered his mouth with his hands and Brendon smiles.

I broke the hug and took her hand. "I have something to show you." I said and she giggled. I lead her upstairs to my bedroom.

"I did this while you were with Vanya. I know how you don't like sleeping alone, so I just did this and now you can sleep with me." I said and she smiled, tears in her eyes.

In the room had two single beds, pushed together to make one double bed. I hung all of her posters on the wall and moved Luther's Record player in here, along with all of my vinyls from downstairs.

"Five, you didn't have to." she said, sitting on the bed, which I fitted with a sheet with the Umbrella Academy Symbol on it. She loved our symbol. She loved the Academy as a whole. She just didn't love our father.

She smiled, on the brink of tears. "You really didn't have to you know." she said. I smiled and walked over to her. "I did." I said, resting my hands on her waist. She looked to the floor, then back to at me.

"You really didn't." she said. I smiled a bit and she laced her hand with mine, leaning in closer.

Just as she leaned in for a kiss, someone walks into the room. "Mm, Five! More action I see?" Klaus said, the familiar sent of him flowing through the room. I looked Y/N in the eye. "We really need to lock the door when we're alone." I sighed and she giggled.

"We really do. Maybe I'll lock it tonight." She says and winked. I felt myself blush and she shoved me lightly. "Five Hargreeves!" she giggled and got up. She walked out of our room and I followed her.

"What, Y/N Ross?" I shouted behind her. She giggled as she ran down the stairs. She started to run quicker and I followed her. She walked into the back garden, where I found everyone else standing over a table with a bunch of balloons and snacks. I smiled.

"Happy birthday!" Vanya, Diego, Klaus, Allison, Luther, Ryan and Brendon shouted. I giggled. "Happy Birthday guys!" I shouted. The whole family came together for a big hug.

It's warm, comforting, happy, lovely. Something that I never knew my family could give me. I never knew that my family was so forgiving. I never knew that I can find happiness and comfort in their arms.

We broke the hug, my cheeks a little damp. Everyone smiled. "Can we just forget what happened and just...be a family again?" Y/N suggested. I smiled and nodded.

"Mhm." Klaus slurred. Y/N giggled. "I think that would be a really good idea." I said.  Everyone smiled. Comfortable silence creeped into the party. "What are we waiting for? Come on, let's dance!" Y/N shouted. She took my hand and lead me to the gazebo.

The two of us begun to dance to the song, me having no clue what it was called. She looked like she was having the time of her life.

A slow song came on, Which I realized was The Bad List by Ryan Ross and Z burg. "This is one of your father's songs, isn't it?" I asked and she nodded. "One of my favorites." she said, putting her hands on my waist and leaning her head on my shoulder.

I hesitantly wrapped my hands around her waist and we started to sway from side to side.

If it were me I'd right another song, something in a major key. You and I will always be, the dream. It was a scream when we were young and dumb, acid on Topanga Beach. You and I will always be that free. But something changed, along the way. Winter never turned to spring.

I spun her around slowly, her eyes glowing a blue neon from the sparking fairy lights above us. I pulled her closer and she made us spin around.

The black summer dress she wore flew beautifully in the wind. "Just a first kiss, to face the new year." she sung. "Just a first kiss, to face the new year." I sung, touching the bottom of her chin with my index finger.

She looked into my eyes, the corners of her lip glossed lips rounding into a small smile. She leaned in closer, our lips touching. I smiled.

"Just a first kiss, to face the new year." she whispered. I grinned and connected our lips.

Her lips are warm and soft. It sent fireworks sparking inside of me, it sent heat waves through my body. It made my heart skip eight beats at once.

It made me feel alive again.

I put my hand behind her back and pulled her closer. I held her tightly and dipped her, making her smile into the kiss. She held my neck and kissed me more passionately.

I break the kiss, but only for a split second. "Five..." she said, looking into my eyes, smiling. "Just shut up for once." I said and kissed her again. She giggled into the kiss but splits it again.

"I really like these moments with you." she said. "I just really like you." I find myself biting my bottom lip and blushing.

"I like you too."

☂️