It took Yara one month to make a name for herself. She was never made for Colorado , LA beckoned to her and she embraced it in all its sin and fraudulence. Watching Zolee's petite frame as she shuffled back into her room Yara pondered on how someone so loyal would fare in a city so treacherous. It worked for her because she was great at pretending. Zolee never did that.

Putting on a show was what she did, gliding herself into a black bvlgari dress and jimmy choo cobalt blue heels, she reveled in her reflection before moving to start her day.

Her office was her favorite place in Los Angeles, always bustling , always busy and born from her sweat and tears overnight. Dropping her Hermes bag onto her desk , she had five minutes to breathe before Tina came in with a huge pink binder.

"Okay so everything is in order for tonight, I'll be running the party for Buddy Hield and you're dealing with Nick Young , yes?"

"Sounds about right. Any clue on those last minute lighting details buddy requested?"

Huffing Tina gave an exasperated nod.

"It took me seventeen calls to find the correct shade of aquamarine but the Bahamian flag will be a highlight of the night in lights."

"Great, also I'll be taking over the Jordan Clarkson party. That is all."

Tina's face contorted into a slick grin which Yara's glare immediately silenced. She didn't need the insinuations or girl talk Tina always tried to achieve. They were coworkers , not friends. She wasn't good with making or keeping those.

Taking the hint, Tina spun on her heels while Yara sat back at her desk and poured herself a glass of Chardonnay.

Another knock resounded at her glass door a few moments later garnering her attention. The delivery boy was svelte , no doubt a struggling actor trying to make do until his big break. He smiled at her in a friendly manner.

"I've got a package for Yara Underwood." He stated easily as he breezed in and placed it on her desk before handing her the paperwork which she quickly signed.

"Thank you."

Her curiosity was piqued, as her door closed she tore the box open and stopped short at its contents.

A polka dotted small blanket and a note were next to a pink photo album. On the cover of it was a redfaced infant she recognized all too well. Dread filled her gut as she took up the note and read.

Dear Liz,

It's been a long time but I know you're doing well. I see you all the time and I'm so proud of you baby girl. I just wish you'd let me see you but I understand. One day, well meet again when you're ready. Anywho, I went back to your grandmothers house and found these, your favorite blanket and an album she kept with photos of you. She loved you so much , I love you so much. I promise you I've changed baby girl , I just wish you'd talk to me.

Love,

Your mom

Blinking rapidly , Yara crumpled the note and threw it in the garbage before she took out the blanket and held it to her chest. Tears began to prick at her eyes as she inhaled the scent of apples which lingered on it, her grandmother always smelled like them. She used to pray to stay with her, but it never happened.

Her fingers skimmed the album next. The desire to open it arrested her, the face she'd see reflected another time , another Yara. A little girl who had no idea how her world would be flipped , whose reality was already shit.