•t w e n t y t h r e e•

February 2022

It was February 1st, 2022, Yara found herself pouring over venues with Jordan at her side. She'd been more focused than usual, Jordan had blamed it on the fact that she was planning two weddings, her, and Ebony's while expanding her business. She was showing now, her belly was round and slightly protruding at five months. If she was bigger it may not have been as noticeable but Yara was tiny.

Taking advantage of this fact, Jordan pulled her into his lap and kissed her neck.

"You've been looking at these for fifty minutes Yara."

"Because I need to choose the right one and I'm trying to find Ebony's dream venue as well, which is damn near impossible. She wants all the frills but also to be lowkey. She wants to go outdoors but she doesn't want bugs. It's a lot."

Humming softly, Jordan rested his head on her shoulder and finally gave her binder some attention.

"I like this one." Jordan pointed towards the Woodland Hills Hilton, and Yara took it in before she marked next to it in red ink. She didn't have a clue as to what she wanted so she was more than relieved that he'd chosen something.

"That's a good one, I'll have my assistant make some calls. For Ebony, I was thinking this." She flipped the page and displayed the lighthouse , a popular and romantic venue in the Bay with the right amount of modernity and traditional spirit. Ebony and Kevin would find balance in its good views, lighting, and vibes.

"I think they'll love that. Ebony practically screamed last night when you brought it up, so I think it's a good choice."

The women had been on the phone practically every night, going over things and catching up. The previous night Ebony had taken it upon herself to divulge the details of Kevin's proposal to Yara, who was still trying to understand the condition of her heart while sleeping with one man and working in close proximity with the other. Ebony offered her an escape, so she listened intently as she detailed the amazing night Kevin had laid out.

Ebony was never one to be nervous but from the tone Kevin used when he'd called her, she knew that something was going on. Their status was complicated still to her, never seamless, he still talked to Zoe to arrange visitation for Kyrie. It seemed like it should be simple, but the woman wasn't taking the break too well and she hated to think she was at the heart of it.

Nonetheless, Kevin had grown on her. From hometown strangers to being her client and then lover, Kevin managed to slither his way into her heart. Now she was having his son, Kash Kevin Durant. They'd agreed on the name the previous night while they took in a bath. Kevin had a rough practice and Ebony had another case of cold feet.

When people were meant to be, shouldn't things just fall into place? It was never that simple for them. He soothed her misgivings almost immediately with the tips of his fingers as he gave her a massage and reminded her that she was the one.

Now, she was staring at her high ponytail and making sure it looked right. He'd told her to get ready because they needed to talk tonight, and they would do so over dinner. So, she picked out a black two piece set and wore the Christian Louboutin black heels he'd gifted her two nights ago. Kevin loved to spoil her, so she didn't know why she felt so nervous. They'd been perfect but between Yara's tumult and the fact that Zoë existed sometimes she doubted the security of her relationship.

"Eb!" Kevin's voice boomed through her penthouse apartment, taking all her attention as she watched him stride into the room toward her "You look beautiful as always."

"Thanks baby. You know, we could just stay in especially if you're going to wear that suit like that."

She loved to see him in suits. Their height difference always excited her but when she got to see his long legs in business and formal attire there was something so regal and attractive about it. Looking away, Ebony collected herself while Kevin looked at her almost as if he was considering it.