•eight•

"I grew up in the streets without no heart ,I grew up in the streets without no heart."

Walking out into her living room , the sound of 21 Savage's No Heart assaulted her ears. Zolee had a habit of listening to trap music when she showered. A proclivity that Yara would never understand or stand for. Ambling to her room , Yara yelled out to her friend.

"BITCH NO you did not! You grew up in the burbs and why the fuck you blasting this scary ass music in this place , ruining the damn mood."

Yara yelled over Zolee's shower as she clicked the music off.

"That nigga is scary." Yara sighed "You listen to trap music while you shower? Who the fuck does that?"

"Well I needed something to drown out your fucking , you scream Jordan's name any louder and the whole of Cali will know you cuffed."

Yara scoffed at this.

"I'm not cuffed , I don't do that shit."

Zolee just rolled her eyes and let the water cascade down her back.

"Uh huh , okay , whatever you say."

"Zolee , you know I don't do that."

Yara argued , Zolee's accusations were making her itch. It had been too long since her torrid affair with Jordan began , she hardly kept anyone around for more than two weeks in this state of emotional limbo.

"Trying to convince me or yourself Yara?"

Yara opened her mouth to respond to Zolee's question but just shook her head , there was no sense in arguing, so she did the next best thing; flushed the toilet and ran out laughing while Zolee shrieked at the cold water that hit her.

"Bitch! Obviously Jordan didn't hit that good enough , you mean as fuck this morning!"

Walking back out to her kitchen , a knock on the door took her attention. Staring at her agenda , she mentally checked off the first event of her day; a quick consult with D'Angelo Russell on the party she was throwing him. He was a welcome face , as she opened the door for him he embraced her quickly before they sat in her living room.

"So , you know how it is with us D. You gave me a theme and I'm coming through. I just wanted to show you the portfolio of what we've done and if there's anything else you need added , now would be the time to request it."

Pushing the black binder forward , D'Angelo flipped through the pages nonchalantly before he sat back and waved in dismissal.

"Yara you've planned a lot of things for me , by now I trust you. I'm sure everything is fine , now I really just came to drop off this cheque and make sure you were good."

While the basketball player reached in his pocket for the cheque , she watched him with curiosity. Why was he asking if she was good? He should know by now that she always was.

"What do you mean am I good D?"

"You and J.C. I just noticed that..."

"There is no me and J.C. He's a client and I do my job well."

He could read her tone. Yara was all business now so obviously he'd hit some type of nerve. Nodding at her , D'Angelo slid her the cheque before he stood up.

"Alright Ya , where's your bathroom?"

"Down the hall , second door."

In the ball player's absence , Yara couldn't shake his question. Jordan Clarkson had left her home a bit after 7 this morning. They'd indulged in one another. Their relationship was mainly sex and subterfuge at this point. Jordan was a distraction but after his party it was clear that many wires were being crossed in this union.