• t h i r t y o n e •

November 2022

"Yara Elizabeth, what are you feeding this baby?" Aunt Denise queried as she kissed Jahi's stomach making the five-month-old smile.

"Mostly breast milk, he eats a lot though."

Yara smiled fondly at her son before she shuffled around Amari's cabinets looking for bottles. Payton had helped Amari sort the last of his stuff out last night when she heard their aunt and uncle were coming in. They'd even ended up having a couples movie night when Jahi had went to sleep. Yara really liked Payton. She was a breath of fresh air almost, gentle and calm.

"I can see, he's so chunky. Greg, you remember when Amari was like this?" Denise mused happily as she looked back at her husband who now reached out for the young baby.

"Yeah, Amari was a big baby. We didn't know how Amaia carried him and Aya at the same time."

Gregory sniffed the air before he raised the baby and made a face.

"Smells like it's time for a change. I got it; it's been a while."

With that said Uncle Gregory took Jahi into his makeshift nursery leaving just Yara and Aunt Denise in Amari's Kitchen. Yara was preparing Jahi's bottles and Denise watched her. She was glad to see that Yara was handling life so well especially after what occurred. Denise knew that Jordan was not the one, she'd told Yara but the young woman insisted on following her own path.

"How've you been sugarplum?"

"I've been alright, mostly working and when I'm not doing that, I'm trying to find a house down here. Amari's crafting out his own life and I don't want to intrude on it too much you know? He and Payton are getting really serious."

Denise pursed her lips and nodded before she noticed a red mark on Yara's neck.

"I realized; she seems to be very sweet. I'm happy for him but he's not the only one getting serious with someone is he?"

Immediately Yara turned to meet her aunt's eyes. For some reason she never could hide anything from Denise, most of the time she never tried to in the first place.

"Auntie, Jordan's going to be here any minute to see Jahi. Do you really want to start this conversation right now?"

"Absolutely Yara, we can stop it when Jordan comes but until then we will have it. Is it Quincy?"

"Yes, it's Quincy." Yara turned away just as Uncle Gregory and Jahi walked back into the room "It's always been Quincy."

She muttered the last part. It had taken her so long to realize but he wasted no time settling into her life. Quincy was always at the house, or they were always at his luxury high-rise condo. He'd even set up a crib for Jahi. They were moving quickly but Quincy didn't want to waste any more time and he'd made that clear. She tried to slow things down as much as possible because at his rate he'd give her a Birkin and a baby tomorrow.

"Now, do you think that you're ready for a new relationship plum? All of that with Jordan, having things crumble that way Yara it takes a toll on you emotionally."

"What new relationship?" Uncle Greg looked at Yara incredulously as he bounced Jahi on his knee. Denise rested a hand on his shoulder.

"Greg look at her neck, and you saw her room. There's another man in this house, Quincy."

Denise made sure to put emphasis on the name and Uncle Greg couldn't help but to chuckle when he heard who it was. From day one, he'd told Yara that Quincy seemed like a man who knew what he wanted. Back then, Yara didn't want anything besides her career.