Ep. 6

Episode Six: The Scoop

"What do you mean you won't cover the story?"

Greg Faust , head producer asked incredulously as he stared at one of his star reporters. Aja had thrown him for a loop. She'd been eager to jump at each story he'd given her before but now all of a sudden she was backing away.

"Cay'La Laws is a person whose been through a lot , I won't add to it."

"You don't have a choice Ms. Stewart. It's either report on this story or be sidelined for the day."

Shaking her head at the ultimatum , Aja looked at the photos of the scene in front of her. Cay'La's shaken demeanor , her in tears as she sat passenger side. She remembered the first set of photos that came to her desk regarding the girl back when she was Mike Scott's fiancé , she was unrecognizable in them.

"I can't air out her domestic violence situation , it's wrong and it's not journalism, it's fodder. Even I have my limits and this one I'm not crossing , so sideline me. I'm going to lunch."

With that said Aja began to gather her things while her boss looked at her amazed.

"I never thought I'd see the day you showed integrity , but I guess there's a day for everything huh? You'll be lucky to have a job when you get back."

"And you'll be lucky to still have a show if you think you can survive without me. Tell me how the ratings for today look , will you hun?"

Grabbing her White Hermés bag and keys , Aja sashayed out of her office with her head held high and her morals even higher. Jumping into her G Wagon she placed a call to Laylani before she pulled off toward her favorite lunch spot.

"Hello?"

"Hey Girl , I hope your ass is not backing out on me because I might have just joined the unemployment line."

She could hear slight shuffling in the background before her friend answered.

"Of course not but what are you talking about? What did you do now?"

"Nothing I just stood up for what was right."

Scoffing Laylani rolled her eyes.

"You? Am I talking to the same bitch who aired out my relationship a day ago over snapchat no less?"

"Okay so that wasn't my finest hour but I waited until the smoke cleared and you kicked Lonzo out to do it. Besides you said you were fine , the story they wanted me to cover was worse."

"What could it possibly be Aj?"

"It was Cay'La's."

Silence rang over the phone for a bit and in the meanwhile Aja took her exit, placing her just five minutes away from the establishment.

"Yeah well, I can't argue with you there. Have you talked to her?"

"No but I did send her an invite to the party I'm planning for all of us next week. She RSVPed so hopefully that means she's good. I can't believe he did that to her."

"I can't believe he was stupid enough to confront her where she works, if at all."

"He said he still loves her."

Scoffing Laylani honked at someone who cut her off on the road before she spoke up.

"With his heart this time or with his fists again? I swear that boy almost broke her."

"Yeah I remember , I'm so glad she got out of that and met Willie. He loves her so much."

"Yup , never thought I'd thank the Lord for any King but I guess this is the exception. Girl I just pulled up , see you when you get here."