Chapter 21: Cassie Strikes Back

Start from the beginning

"I'll take it from here," one of the school safety agents said, gesturing for Mr. Phillips to let go of Ashley. Mr. Phillips did as such, allowing Ashley to be handcuffed by the agents while dispatching police officers for backup.

"What did the other three girls look like?" another school safety agent asked.

"I dunno, they hightailed it out of here as I ran over to save Cassie, I didn't catch a good look at them."

"Well, I know that they really did look like grown women," Drew spoke up. "They were wearing bandanas, one beige, blue, and purple, two of them wore white shirts, one black and all of them wore gray sweatpants."

"Ok, perfect," the school safety agent said. "You took a good look at them."

"Yeah, 'cause I had to save Cassie from getting jumped herself," Drew replied. matter-of-factly. "Cassie jumped in to save Simone because all four of them were beating her up just because she told the truth to Gonzales, plus breaking it off with Ashley."

Ashley gave Drew a death glare, while Drew returned the favor. Meanwhile, Mrs. Phillips was finished examining Simone's condition, while Cassie stayed by her side.

"Can any of you get an ambulance down here?" Mrs. Phillips called. "She has a few cracked ribs and she might have an internal bleed."

"We already dispatched all of them, don't worry," the school safety agent said.

Before a minute passed, a series of sirens grew closer to the school.

"And there goes your ride to prison, Ashley," one of the deans sneered. "Have fun."

"Fuck off," Ashley retorted, while Drew pressed his lips, hiding a smile at the dean's jab.

"Thank you very much."

A police van followed by two sedans, and an ambulance pulled up in front of the school. Drew's eyes widened when he saw the three goons from earlier on in the back of the police van. They were probably in trouble with the authorities before coming to get Cassie and Simone.

Are they that dumb?

A bunch of police officers came out of their cars to officially apprehend Ashley, joining her goons in the police van while paramedics came over to tend to Simone. Two of the goons were indeed newly legal adults, while one of them was a senior in high school, who was expelled from school herself. Apparently, they stole Vaseline from a Walgreens a few hours ago, putting themselves on police radar. Some students from the crowd earlier on blocked the goons from making their escape and called the police. Drew's heart warmed at the fact that probably some people in that crowd were victims of Ashley's bullying and decided that enough was enough.

One by one, the cop cars drove away, the last being the van that carried Ashley and her squad.

"Gracias, Jesús," Drew whispered to himself.

"Drew, I gotta shake your hand, 'cause you've done it again," Mr. Phillips said, shaking hands with Drew. "I never thought this day would ever come. My little girl's tough as nails just like her old man, and you were by her side."

"Mr. Phillips, I really didn't do anything," Drew replied. "She found the strength on her own, I saw it."

Mr. Phillips' eyes welled with tears, but wiped them away and nodded. "I know she's probably your girl too now, but make no mistake, you do know what happens if you hurt my daughter, right?" he warned in a low tone.

"Sir, after everything Cassie's been through, I can't afford to hurt her, I just can't," Drew affirmed to Mr. Phillips.

Mr. Phillips smiled and tousled Drew's hair. "I know you're a good kid, Drew," he said, making Drew smile nervously.