Chapter 4

Hi everyone!

So, yes! I'm (kinda) free! Still got meds and now I have some PT to do, but... at least I feel better. 

Thank you so much for your support! It means the world to me :) I want to thank everybody who reads this, and yes, even you silent readers out there. I hope you're enjoying the story :D

And a happy birthday to my brother! Yaay! 

Next update: March, 29th 2019 (Guys, I can't believe March is almost over already O.O Plus, the 28th is my Mom's birthday and I'm going to make a cake! Wish me luck... seriously)

Chapter 4

And time passed, as it often does. 

As the days started and ended, Nephelle's battered body started to heal, and she watched with amazement as the Owens took care of her with loving care and so much tenderness she couldn't even begin to think on how to reciprocate.

While each one was different, they each melted her heart in a different way: Mrs.Greta with her motherly comfort, medicine and food. Wade, there was so much to be thankful for here. If she considered someone a friend, the boy would definitely be it. He would always bring books and read to her and, afterwards, they'd spend hours chatting about what they'd read... Those memories alone were enough to make her feel warm inside.

And Mabel herself... Once she felt better, Mabel started popping by with clothing she thought might fit on her. Her presence always reminded her of a burst of sunlight cutting through the dark. Fox, on the other hand...

If Wade made her feel warm and Mabel shone bright, Fox made her feel... Confused. He'd argue with her and make her so mad she wanted to kill him, and then say something silly that made her giggle like a schoolgirl. He'd pout whenever someone called her Nephy and stick with calling her Angelface - going into huge arguments with his brother whenever he found Wade and her chatting. He'd bring fresh fruit from their orchards, chastise her over the need take her medicines, and then sit with her and tease her mercilessly until late in the evening... when he'd sneak her a treat, kiss her forehead and bid her sweet dreams... 

And then there was Mr. Tex, their father, who would shyly step inside the room to inquire her how she felt and if she wanted something new from the market.

"Maybe a ribbon or two – girls like those things, ay?" he'd told her an afternoon, scratching his dark beard.

What surprised her the most was that, in all honesty, they had absolutely no reason to do what they were doing. So, she had saved Mabel's life and she could understand gratitude. It did make sense they taking her in and taking care of her until she could fend for herself.

But all these little things? What was the reason for them? It wasn't like she needed books for her continual survival, or that she needed to eat her favorite foods or wear new clothes.

Clean ones were good enough.

While she couldn't help but be suspicious, Nephelle found herself surrendering to the avalanche of love that seemed to be coming for her from all directions. 

And it was that suspicion that was making her leave that morning. Also, she was mostly healed and it was past time to get back on the road to discovering what had happened to her.

And if she felt a little bit of guilt, well, she needed to ignore it.

No need to involve Mabel's family on her problems, especially as she had no idea what those problems were and she had no wish to risk their lives on it.