The servants wiped their hair dry as they sat together in front of the dressing table. Royal Princess Duanjia turned to look at Chu Lian, then at herself, before pointing at a set of accessories on the table. “This, this, and this. Put them on this princess and Chu Liu.”

Chu Lian glanced at the accessories and quickly tried to put a stop to it. “Princess, I can’t do that. That’s a phoenix tail hairpin.”

Royal Princess Duanjia wasn’t happy. “Why can’t you wear that? It’s not like it’s a special five-tailed phoenix hairpin. Even a titled noble wife can wear one.”

The corner of Chu Lian’s lips twitched. She didn’t even have a noble title, so how could she wear that hairpin!

Royal Princess Duanjia harrumphed. “That He Sanlang is really useless. What good is he other than being a little handsome? He’s like an embroidered pillow. He couldn’t even get a noble title for his wife. How were you so blind as to choose him? Don’t worry, Chu Liu. Just put this hairpin on first. This princess will get you a noble title later on!”

This sounded really strange, regardless of the context. For one, the people here believed in having their parents choose their marriage partners, so she hardly had a choice in who to marry. If she had known earlier that He Sanlang had such a crazy personality, she wouldn’t have wanted to marry him!

Chu Lian was helpless. She couldn’t win over Royal Princess Duanjia, since the princess had a much higher status. Not to mention, she was the guest here! In the end, Chu Lian couldn’t say anything.

Princess Wei was still waiting in the parlour outside. When the two young ladies were done dressing up, they walked into the parlour holding hands. Princess Wei was stunned for a moment.

In her eyes, two young ladies, around the age of fourteen or fifteen and about the same height, had just entered the room. The girl on the left was wearing a light pink dress made out of soft silk with wide sleeves and a translucent overcoat. The girl on the right was dressed in the same style, but with a different colour: light purple.

The two of them had similar figures and had adorned themselves with the same hairstyle; even the hairpins and accessories on their heads were exactly the same. Only their expressions and features were different. However, they were both tender young ladies in the bloom of their youth; no one could shift their gazes away.

In an instant, everyone in the room was dazed from the sight.

Royal Princess Duanjia tugged Chu Lian forward with her a few steps. She tilted her head to one side and asked, “Mother, what do you think? Do we look pretty?”

It was only then that Princess Wei came to her senses. Her gaze still seemed misty, and she hurriedly tried to hide the trace of pain in the depths of her eyes. One of her senior servants noticed that something wasn’t right and quickly poured a cup of tea for Princess Wei to help her hide her sorrow. The senior servant then smiled happily and replied, “Royal Princess and Third Young Madam, you both look beautiful dressed like this. This old servant is almost blinded by how pretty you look!”

“Senior Servant Lan usually has high standards. Since she thinks that we’re pretty, then we definitely must be! Chu Liu, see, this princess made a good choice, right?”

Chu Lian’s heart was almost in her throat. How was this good in any way? Royal Princess Duanjia was way too oblivious. If she were to dress in the same clothes as her host in any other estate, it would be considered very disrespectful towards her hosts. In this case, that would be the two princesses before her. Luckily, it seemed like Princess Wei hadn’t taken it badly, so Chu Lian heaved an inner sigh of relief.