Ch. 53 Playing For The Deaf

Start from the beginning

Chu Lian regretted her words so much.

When Royal Princess Duanjia saw that she had stopped speaking halfway, she immediately kept asking. “Hey, Chu Liu, you can’t just stop like that! What’s that Mingqian tea you were talking about? Explain it to me now!”

Chu Lian had a conflicted expression on her face. How was she supposed to explain it? The Great Wu Dynasty didn’t even have a proper tea plantation. If she were to explain further, wouldn’t the princess turn speechless?

While she was worrying over how to explain things to the princess, there was a knock at the door.

Royal Princess Duanjia shot a look at her handmaid. A moment later, the handmaid returned, leading a clean-looking waiter into the room.

“Princess, it’s a waiter. He’s brought some snacks.”

Royal Princess Duanjia nodded. The quick-witted waiter laid out Defeng Teahouse’s specialty confections on the table before carefully taking out a narrow necked bottle from a box. He then explained in a prim manner, “Esteemed guests, this is a complimentary bottle of mead from the teahouse. The owner happens to be celebrating a happy occasion today, so every guest will receive a portion. The formula used to brew this mead has been passed down in the owner’s family for generations, and the flavour is excellent. Dear guests, would you like to try some?”

Royal Princess Duanjia liked to try new things, but Chu Lian wasn’t too interested. However, seeing the curiosity on Royal Princess Duanjia’s face, she accompanied her in having a cup.

Royal Princess Duanjia nodded. Her handmaid then took a cup of mead and tasted it. After making sure there was nothing wrong with it, she signalled for the waiter to pour more for the two ladies.

Chu Lian took a small sip. The mead was sweet and mellow, and even had a hint of grape flavour.

She hadn’t expected the taste of it to be just like the waiter had described: excellent. The taste of alcohol was light, so it was perfectly suited for women. It didn’t lose out to Yuehong Restaurant’s fruit wine at all.

When the waiter left the room, Royal Princess Duanjia drank a few more mouthfuls of the mead. Honey water was a little too mild to suit her tastes. Conversely, this mead was just right to her liking.

The two of them began to discuss the songs that were performed in Defeng Teahouse daily. Just as Royal Princess Duanjia mentioned that the song for today, ‘The Phoenix Seeks His Soulmate’, was only performed once a month, a light tinkling could be heard from the main hall. Then, the music began to play.

Royal Princess Duanjia ordered her handmaid to open the windows and let down the curtains. From the gaps in the curtains, they looked towards the main hall and saw that the performance had indeed started.

Royal Princess Duanjia found it strange and asked, “It’s not supposed to be time yet, so why has the performance already started?”

Chu Lian had never come to this teahouse before, and could only shake her head in confusion.

She had no temperament for music at all. The best she could do was tell if the song was nice. If she had to point out why it was nice, she probably wouldn’t be able to give an answer, regardless of whether she listened to the song once, twice, or even ten times!