Chapter 6: Surprises

With winter break being over now, the group wanted to celebrate my birthday... but thankfully there was too much snow for them to come to my house. But now, returning to school... I wish that I had more time to relax... and away from Erwin. I had enough of him trying to get answers out of me about Hanji. And honestly, I think he's falling for her too. I know they have private conversations...

"Heya, Levi!" Erwin crashed onto me as we waited in our Physics class. "How was your break? Had a nice birthday?"

Pushing him off, I growled. "Leave me alone. It was quite peaceful earlier when you weren't there to bother me. Now please, let me suffer in school alone with you guys disturbing my suffering."

He chuckles, sitting next to me- despite me telling him what I wanted. "Come on, Levi. Stop being depressing for one day-"

"I will stop being depressing whe-"

"Alright, class!" We all turned to the teacher as I saw a familiar face nearby. "Welcome back from break. And I have some announcements to make as we enter this new semester." She then turns to the girl next to her, extending her hand out towards her. "This is our new student, Hanji Zoe. Please make yourself welcomed."

I gasped in surprise when I saw her here. I was... never informed that she would be coming to Rosen High School... and that would mean she lives nearby. 

Her hazel eyes shone brightly as they fell upon everyone... but sparked when I saw her eyes meet mine. Her sweet smile appeared on her precious face... "I'm hopeful I can become fit in this semester, despite me entering this school year this late." And everyone gave that awkward laughter.

Ms. Hazelton smiled softly. "Well, I'm sure at least some students will accept you with open arms, Hanji. You can take any empty seat you like."

Hanji nods, walking up towards the back... towards us. Erwin scooted over to the empty seat, leaving an empty seat between the both of us. I felt a scowl grow on my face as I saw what he was doing. At first, he wanted to get up in all my business about Hanji... and now we're practically fighting for her? The hell, Erwin?

She silently takes her seat between us two, looking at the both of us. "Levi... Erwin... I-I didn't know you guys were here..."

I chuckled a bit, "Same. I didn't know you were moving here..." 

Erwin tapped her shoulder, smirking softly. "Hanji, pleasure to meet you again. And I was wondering... wanna hang out after school today?"

"I-I don't know..." She says, looking down. "I mean, I did move here about a week ago... and I'm still getting used to my surroundings..."

"I could help you get used to here. I could show you around, just talk normally... just kinda like that." My cheeks turned a bit warm as I just sprouted suggestions. "Only when you're available, of course. If you need help unpacking... I-I could help."

Hanji chuckles softly, smiling. "I would actually appreciate that, Levi... thanks. Um, and yeah, you can help me unpack some things... my mom and I... we can't really unpack like furniture... I'll text you my address during lunch."

Erwin's eyes widen as he heard Hanji's response. He jumped up, turning red. "Hanji, I can also help out. I mean, I'm sure tiny Levi won't do that much of a heavy lifting. I can help too."

She laughs softly, pushing back into her seat. "Well... one boy to my house is more of understanding. Two boys to my house? Eh... my mom is gonna suspect something. But, I'll see if she's okay with it."

We both nodded to Hanji's answer and went back to class. But Erwin trying to get on with Hanji right away... I'll admit that it makes me jealous... considering I met her first and I talked to her a lot longer than any of those guys. Oh, if I could, I would beat him good to teach a rat like him a good, long lesson about trying to get with the people I have an interest in.