Chapter 27- Business as Usual

As I stepped out of Conner's car the next day, and looked around as everyone started to whisper and point at me, it hit me like a freight train.

What the hell had I been thinking?

I realized too late that returning back to school was a huge mistake.

A protective arm slung casually over my shoulder as Conner gently began to lead me inside. People didn't even bother to pretend not to be talking about me as I passed, not that I could really blame them. The last time I had been seen, I was completely wasted and being hauled away in an ambulance.

"Selena!!" I was nearly knocked off balance as a whirlwind of red hair tackled me out of Conner's grasp.

"Hey Alex." I smiled nervously at her, noticing that everyone was still staring at me like I was the new kid, even though I had been here just last week.

Alex must have noticed my glance, because in a second she was turned towards the crowd, a fierce scowl on her pretty face. "What?!"

Everyone grew silent as Alex's voice rang out loudly across the parking lot. After a short moment of silence, everyone was speed walking in the opposite direction, glancing over their shoulders nervously.

Conner's laughter made my heart race as he turned back to Alex, an appreciative smile gracing his features. "Nice."

She shrugged, smiling back as she linked her arm in mine. "Well what are we waiting for? Time to face your demons lover girl."

Conner nodded in agreement, liking his arm with my free one. And suddenly, I knew they were right.

It didn't matter that I was going to be the gossip of the school. I had my best friends, and the greatest boyfriend in the world by my side.

And with my newly boosted confidence, I lifted my chin and led them inside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And like all things, what goes up must come down.

By lunch time, the curious gossip was starting to get to me. A couple of girls had actually had the nerve and ask me to confirm what had gone down at the twin's party.

Before they were promptly told off by Alex.

I don't think I had ever been more grateful for her and Lilly.

Lilly was currently sitting by my side, holding hands with Tom. On my other side, Conner's hand was holding my hand beneath the table, resting on my lap. And finally, on the other side of the table Jerry and Alex were arguing.

It was like I was never gone.

"Are you freaking kidding me? There is no way that One Direction is gay!" Alex said firmly, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Uhhh, have you seen their hair? No straight guy would spend that much time on their hair." Jerry countered.

Alex snorted. "As if your hair is naturally so perfect! You're just jealous because they are drop dead, mouth wateringly sexy!"

"As if!-"

Alex cut him off again. "And don't you even think about saying that they're not good looking! On my most lick-able list, they might even be before Selena's godly of twin brothers!" She turned to me. "No offence."

"None taken?"

"But they aren't even that good looking!" Jerry protested, his eyes narrowed.

Alex rolled her eyes again. "Are you kidding me? The things I would do to those boys wouldn't be legal in some countries-"