Chapter 19- Just Another Day in the Hospital

For a moment, I just blinked.

But nothing changed. The walls were a blinding white color, that made my head throb even more than it already was. I was laying down in a slightly uncomfortable hospital bed, IV tubes stuck into my arms and a heart monitor beeping steadily beside me. I had mysteriously changed out of my silver party dress, and into a hideous hospital gown with a weird breeze that made me shiver.

Why the hell was I in a hospital?

I looked around, and finally noticed my mom sitting in a plastic chair at the foot of my bed, her head dropped into her hands. The sound of her crying nearly broke my heart. I tried to sit up, but any movement made my body sting and burn.

I silently gasped. I guess I could stay laying down for a while then.

"Mom?" My voice croaked, as if I had just gargled with sand.

Her head immediately whipped up to look at me. Her crystal blue eyes were bloodshot with tears, and her brown hair was a complete mess. She looked as if she had been sitting here for days. Which brings back the question, why the hell am I in a hospital?

"Selena!" The sound of her voice made me flinch. Why was she talking so loud? "Oh my baby!"

"Mom." I croaked again, holding a hand to my aching head.

She clamped a hand over her mouth. "Sorry. Forgot you had a hangover."

Wait, a hangover? Bits and pieces of last night flooded back to me. Ohhhh, the party. Well that certainly explained my massive headache.

"What happened?" I asked in a rough voice.

My mom looked at me with sad eyes. "You got into a fight. Oh sweetie, why didn't you just tell us? We would have understood!"

"Tell you what? What are you talking about?" My mom started crying again.

Before she could respond though, my dad came into the room. He looked just as bad as my mom, if not worse. "Selena!"

I flinched again. Why couldn't they just let me nurse my hangover in silence?

"Thank god you're up! When we get home, we have some serious talking to do." His expression was a confusing mixture of relief and anger. What happened last night?

"What-" I was just about to ask, when the door slammed open and Conner strode in.

His green eyes were a murkey moss color, which automatically told me that he hadn't slept for a while. He was wearing the same clothes from the party, which I found slightly odd. He stormed in silently before he stopped at the foot of my bed, staring at me with an intensity that had me shivering.

My parents shared a knowing glance before they both stood up. "I think we'll give you two a minute to talk." My dad called over his shoulder as he led my still crying mother out of the room and into the hall.

For a minute, Conner and I just started at each other. I saw so many emotions pass over his face that I might have got whiplash. Relief. Joy. Sadness. Betrayal. Desperation. Anger.

Anger? Was he mad at me?

He was the first to break the silence.

"How could you?"

I blinked, utterly confused out of my mind. "How could I what?"

"You know damn well what!" His angry voice instantly brought tears to my eyes. In the full 17 years I've known Conner, I had never seen him this upset, especially at me.

I stayed silent, not quite knowing what to say.

"After all you mean to me, you still go ahead and do- do that! With that piece of shit! And that wasn't enough! Then, you go ahead and keep it from me! I thought we were best friends, but for weeks you've been lying straight to my face!" He raised his voice, and started to agitatedly pace across the room.

Even though I was terrified to ask the question I had been wondering since I woke up, I did anyway. "What did I do?"

Conner stopped in his tracks. He whipped his head over to look at me, looking surprised. "You don't know?"

I shook my head, feeling the tears start leaking down across my cheeks. I must have done something awful for Conner to be this upset. He was usually such a carefree guy, that could brush away anything that bothered him.

Conner sighed, running a hand through his hair wearily. He came to kneel down at my bedside, before he gently took my hand.

"Selena. You had a miscarriage."

It took a moment for my brain to process what he was saying. My eyes locked with his, trying to find the spark of humor in the green depths of his eyes that would assure me that he was just pulling my leg.

But his eyes were as dull as my math class.

"What?" I could barely find the words to respond. I had a miscarriage? That would mean-

"S, you were three weeks pregnant."

The only sound that could be heard was my racing heart beat on the heart monitor. His words just kept echoing in my head over and over again.

I was three weeks pregnant.

The tears I had been crying fell faster, making my entire face and neck slick and wet. I leaned my head back to stare at the ceiling, ignoring the jolt of pain I felt when I moved my neck. I suddenly realized that though my entire body was sore, a particular area of me was in much more pain than others.

It couldn't be. I was the good girl with the insane best friend. I got good grades, stayed clear from drugs, and babysat my little brother on Friday nights. I wasn't the girl who got pregnant at 17.

I was looking everywhere but at Conner. Was he mad at me for getting pregnant?

"S." He sighed, pulling his hand away from mine and making me whimper slightly. "I can't believe you slept with Travis."

My head snapped back to look at him, making me flinch at the sharp movement. "What!?"

Conner's sad look instantly turned into a glare. "Well, we were always safe! So obviously the only other person who could have impregnated you is-"

"I didn't sleep with Travis!" My throat was scratchy as I raised my voice to yell at him. "I'm not a slut! You are the only person I have slept with, in the past seven months since I broke up with Charlie!"

"You slept with ass-hat Charlie?" He frowned.

"Seriously Con, this selective hearing thing has got to stop."

Conner continued to glare at me. "Right. We'll talk about that later. But it couldn't have been mine! That's impossible. We always used protection!"

"Well we must have slipped up! So stop freaking accusing me! So congratulations, you were a father to be!" I yelled, feeling my face grow hot.

Conner's glare was wiped off his face in a flash. It was silent for a moment as he sat back down in the chair at the foot of my bed. He stared at his hand with glazed eyes, reminding me of a lost little boy at sea world.

He finally spoke, breaking the silence without looking up from his hands.

"Oh my god. I got my best friend pregnant."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dun dun dduuuuunnnn!

Gasp! She was pregnant! (though most of you already knew that)

Sooooooo? Did you like it? I really tried not to make it too cliche.

I know it's really short and stuff :/ But I though it was too much drama to make it longer! Plus, who doesn't love a good cliff hanger?

Tell me what you think! Critisism is welcome, but please don't hurt my feelings too much if you absoloutely hated it. I know most of you didn't want her to be pregnant :/