Chapter 6- Out of the Loop

Their reactions were, well, unexpected.

"Finally!' Alex exclaimed, flinging her arms up in exasperation and whipping her red curls around her face.

"Took ya long enough." Lilly rolled her eyes, a smug grin on her lips.

Ok, make that really unexpected.

"Huh?"

They stopped the commotion to stare at me. The smiles slipped from their faces. Their dumbfounded looks made me feel kind of insecure, like I had gone to school in my pj's. (Which would be so cool! Until I got suspended, of course). I was extremely uncomfortable, though I'm pretty sure it was only weird to me. People from nearby tables were giving us curious glances, and I knew that if someone didn't unfreeze soon, the whispering would start.

But unfortunately for me, I was far to confused to find words to say, let alone make a logical sentence presentable enough to say in public. So I sat there in silence, and waited.

I swear, we were sitting there in silence for an hour before the responded.

"You're kidding, right?" Alex raised her eyebrows at me.

"Kidding about what?" I tilted my head to the side, as I always did when I was lost. Which was pretty much during every class except PE. "Run till you puke!" was a pretty universal term.

"Wait." Lilly started massaging her temples, as if she had a headache. "You actually have no idea about Conner?"

"What about him?" I felt really slow right now.

Alex face-palmed her forehead, and Lilly closed her eyes and tilted her head to the sky, both letting out a frustrated groan.

I really hate it when I'm out of the loop.

I felt like I had when I had gone to school on a Saturday, only to be greeted by silence. But still to tired to notice, or care, I still went to my locker, and then continued on to my first period. Only to find the door locked. And then I remembered that there was no school on weekends, and proceeded to bang my head on the lockers repeatedly.

This happened at least once a month.

I'm seriously not, a morning person.

"Never mind." Lilly sighed, and started to eat her sandwich sadly.

What was it with my friends and their vauge elaborations?

"No, tell me." I crossed my arms and glared at them.

"It's not really our secret to tell Selli." Lilly shrugged, and Alex nodded, both looking intently at the ground. I was about to argue, when I processed their words and realization hit me in the face.

Wait, Conner was keeping a secret from me?

That couldn't be true, we told each other everything! We were practically one person, aside from the differences in our anatomies. If Conner had a secret, I would be the first to know about it.

Right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of the day, I was so preoccupied with trying to figure out my friends latest puzzle, that I was pretty much zoned out the entire time. Lilly and Alex didn't seem to mind though, because they themselves were preoccupied in a hushed conversation.

Which I would be totally fine with, if they would at least bother to try not to glance at me meaningfully, and so obviously that it was ridiculous, in between words.

When school ended in a blur, (as usual), I headed out to the soccer field for Conner's soccer practice.

So once again, there I was, sitting on the bleachers, incredibly bored out of my mind, watching a bunch of sweaty teenage boys run after a ball.