“Amber never lose yourself so far in a man, you can’t find your own self anymore. Be selfish. Not towards your kids, but your spouse. Be there for them, but never love them more than you love yourself. You hear me?”

“Yes.”

“Nate loved you Amber. He loved you. And he loved Sata. Even though I knew Sata wasn’t his. He loved her. That’s why he left you guys everything. But don’t live life down in the dumps. Live again. Always remember Nate, but love again. You deserve it and Nate would want to see you happy.”

“I hear you.”

“I have more packing to do. But you send Sata my love. And you stay strong and beautiful.” She gave me a huge hug and kissed my forehead.

“You can rest easy knowing if Nate never had happiness, he found it in you before he died. So you never have to feel guilty about anything.”

I shook my head and wiped my eyes that were starting to fill.

“I’ll miss you.”

“And I’ll miss you too darling.” She gave me a cheerful smile.

“Now go. Spain is calling my name.” She laughed.

“Be safe and please call me, email me whatever.”

“I will.” She promised.

We gave each other one last hug and I left.

LATER THAT DAY

 August had kept Assata for the past two days. Of course as a new mommy I was a little worried, but I trusted that he could take care of her. The house had been quiet seeing as my mother spent less and less time at home. She was spending more and more time with Governor Parker. I was lying on the couch, snuggled under the covers about to doze off when the doorbell rang.

It was Aug he came to bring Assata back. She was asleep, her head on his shoulder.

He took her to her room to lay her in the crib. I closed the door and returned to the couch.

“I gotta get  some stuff out the car. I’ll be back.” He looked over at me lying on the couch and walked out the front door.

He returned setting at least ten bags on the floor of baby stuff.

“This Munch stuff, we went shopping.” He designated what bags were for her.

“I bought you some Mexican food.” He reached in the bag and got out another bag with a white container and sat it on the table.

“August what all did you buy her?” I sat up a little bit annoyed. She really didn’t need any more stuff.

He sat in the chair next to the couch and pulled some bags to him.

“Diaper genie.” He pulled the box out.

I pulled a couple of bags close to me.

“Bath Thermometer?” I pulled it out. “Boogie Wipes? Diaper Stacker? Wipers Warmer? Baby Detergent? All this stuff is a waste of money. I can use my finger, I don’t need the thermometer. I can use a towel, I don’t need the boogie wipes. I have a drawer for diapers. I don’t need the stacker. It’s not cold enough for a Wipers Warmer. And I already have a regular free and clear brand detergent to wash her clothes.”

I pulled the other bags to me.

He was sitting in the chair starring at the wall, with his finger on his temple. His tongue was poking the inside of his jaw.

“The clothes she can keep. This other stuff you can get your money back.” I pushed the bags back over to him.

“You finished?” He looked over at me.