Chapter 13

The blood was surrounding her. She lays there lifeless on the cold tile floor. There is steam coming off the bathtub, the water is still warm. If only I came home sooner. If only...

I wake up sweating again. It's dark out and I hear the handle of the door knob. Hannah enters.

"Are you okay? I heard you scream."

"Just a nightmare I suppose." I reply not wanting to explain what I had just envisioned.

"Just a nightmare! Really Noah, you're drenched in sweat. That's not normal."she's basically yelling at me.

"It's nothing new. Hannah, please just leave it be." I really don't want to discuss this to with her. Or with anyone for that matter.

"Whatever." She simply states and walks out of the room without another word.

I don't go back to sleep in fear that the dream may come back so I just stare at the ceiling. If I was in my own room I would have taken a shower but I don't want to cause any disturbances or wake anyone up.

When I start to see light peering through the window and smell the coffee brewing in the kitchen, I get up and make my way down the hall to take a shower. The water is so warm, I wish that my showers could be like this all the time, though I dint think that it is something that I will ever get used to.

I change back into the clothes that I had worn yesterday and pack my things. I have to work today and I don't want to overstay my welcome. When I walk towards the foyer Mrs. Smith stops me.

"Would you stay for breakfast?" She asks.

"I was just about to head out but if you would like me to stay, I don't work until 9:00, though Mr. Smith must have told you already."

"I would love if you joined us, and yes he has."

Mrs. Smith is a excellent cook. I have not had bacon and pancakes in a very long time. Due to my very small budget I have accustomed myself to cereal and ramen.

——

I say my thank you's to everyone and head out the door. I suppose that I could go by the house to see if it is unlocked so I can change my clothes.

As I suspected the door is still locked and oddly enough Kevin's truck is in the driveway. He always has to do something to piss me off.

I get back into my car and make my way to work. When I walk in Hannah is already behind the front desk scanning books that have been returned overnight. She eyes me suspiciously taking in the clothes that I have yet to change. I am surprised when she doesn't ask any questions about it. It's unusual but I appreciate it. I get to work doing what has been assigned to me and get on with my day.