Ch. 47 A Peaceful Courtyard

Start from the beginning

Furthermore, although those custom-made silver accessories weren’t too expensive, they were all high-class designs! They would even be suitable for the imperial family to wear, let alone a few noble servants.

By now, Chu Lian had already walked into her study and arrived at her desk. She set the wooden box down and took out the silver accessories within, moving them to a lacquered redwood tray, which Chu Lian had specially covered with a dark blue silk cloth.

The contrast between the dark blue and the glint of the silver made the accessories shine even brighter. Coupled with the novelty of their designs, they were comparable to any set of gold accessories.

Momo, don’t worry. Didn’t Grandmother give me a restaurant?”

Chu Lian’s reply was rather distracted as she happily arranged the accessories on the lacquered tray, separating them into different types.

Senior Servant Gui couldn’t say a word. A restaurant? That lousy restaurant?

It wasn’t located in a busy area of the capital, the dishes were just average, and it couldn’t even earn its upkeep. How could it be counted as a source of income for them? It would be good enough if they could break even!

Senior Servant Gui was seriously wondering if the matriarch had it out for Chu Lian and if she had given Chu Lian that failing restaurant to make her pay for its upkeep.

“Goodness, my dear Third Young Madam, how could that restaurant possibly make any money? Please don’t pin all your hopes on that restaurant!”

Chu Lian finally turned to look at Senior Servant Gui. “Momo, I know that you only have my best interests at heart, but for matters like this, I know what I’m doing.”

Unlike her usually soft and kind voice, the Chu Lian of now carried the strict authority of a person in power.

Senior Servant Gui stiffened and quickly stopped speaking.

Although Third Young Madam’s personality had changed and she had become much more easy-going with them as compared to before, it didn’t mean that Senior Servant Gui could overstep her bounds as a servant and think to change her master’s decisions. She had committed one of the taboos as a servant.

Finally realising what she had done, Senior Servant Gui broke out into cold sweat.

Chu Lian had the same thoughts. Although she didn’t like being harsh towards others and preferred to live casually, even to the point of being a little dazed and silly at times, she never played around with important matters. She also had her own ideas, and hated when others tried to make decisions for her.

She knew that her way of thinking was very different from the way the people here thought, so upon arriving in the Great Wu Dynasty, she had always tried to be as easygoing as possible. However, that didn’t mean she would allow others to interfere with her choices.

It was the same for the silver accessories today, as well as any important decisions from now on.

“This old servant understands.”

When Chu Lian saw that Senior Servant Gui had finally gotten the message, her expression softened and returned to her usual tender smile. Her gentle demeanor also returned.