Ch. 45 Fighting for Peaches

Start from the beginning

“They suit my tastes very well! Mother has never eaten such exquisite, interesting desserts before!”

After the Eight Confections had been finished, Chu Lian had sent a set to each branch of the family. Since there were two children in Dalang’s branch, she naturally sent a few more to his courtyard. He Changqi had tried two of them and found them delicious.

“I didn’t expect that Third Sister-in-Law would have secret recipes with her. Mother, I’m sure you haven’t heard this yet. At Old Marquis Dingyuan’s longevity feast, everyone was fighting over a small plate of longevity peach buns!”

Ah?

Countess Jing’an was dumbfounded; what had happened?

A bunch of noblemen had been fighting over longevity peach buns?

Were those longevity peach buns… possibly made by Chu Lian?

Chu Lian had reported the entire events of the Dingyuan Estate to Countess Jing’an upon her return.

Back then, the remaining longevity peach buns were sent to the banquet over at the outer court, and that was the last Chu Lian had seen of them. Since it was the male guests who had been the recipients, the female guests, who were in a completely different location, naturally had no idea what happened. Even the matriarch had only received the reward that Old Marquis Dingyuan had bestowed on Chu Lian, and no other information.

Countess Jing’an hadn’t thought that something like that had happened at the male guests’ side of the feast.

He Changqi had purposely come over to make his mother happy, so of course, he narrated the entire course of events to her. It was a funny story and involved one of their family members, so he gave a lively description of the whole tale.

Over on their side of the banquet, the feast hadn’t been going on for long; the crowd was busy toasting the old white-haired marquis. It was at that moment that a maidservant brought in a plate of realistic longevity peach buns, saying that it was Heir Dingyuan’s wife, Madam Huang, who had sent them.

After that announcement, everyone’s eyes had been glued to the plate. The old marquis had been seated the closest to the peach buns. Although his sight was fading, his sense of smell was still as good as ever.

Old Marquis Dingyuan sniffed and found that the peach buns actually carried the scent of fresh peaches. Finding it interesting, he immediately took one to have a taste, and gave his grand approval after one bite!

Since a man who had lived a long life had tasted and approved of the peach buns, the peach buns immediately became a lucky charm. It would be a good omen of fortune and prosperity for a young person if they managed to eat one.

The feastgoers’ curiosity was already piqued by the buns’ appearance. No one could have predicted that Heir Zheng, who was known for chasing after novel things, would stand up on the spot to congratulate the marquis before shamelessly asking for one of the longevity peach buns to eat.

Old Marquis Dingyuan had laughed three times in amusement. Having a young man request for one of his longevity peach buns at his own longevity feast spoke of how esteemed he was in their eyes. He naturally agreed to the request.

Heir Zheng didn’t stand on ceremony at all. He took two buns at once, and after biting into one, his eyes completely lit up.