22

I got into the passenger side of the car since Conan insisted on driving. I didn't really mind for once, I was tired anyway. He had bandaged my hands before we left; it was less painful than the first time but it still stung. This was going to be great to try and explain to my mother.

I laid my head on the window and watched as buildings and trees passed by with a flash. There was a lot of traffic since it was early in the morning and people had to get to work. I breathe out, my warm breath landing on the window, making it fog up a bit. I shiver as the coldness of the door seeps through my jacket and imprints a frigid touch to my upper arm.

"Cold?" Conan questions, reaching his arm forward and turning on the heat. I smile lightly at the gesture before going back to my previous position.

Then a certain old song from 2011 comes on the radio and I reach over to turn the song up. Keep Your Head Up by Andy Grammer. I couldn't let Conan hear me, so I mutter the lyrics. I try to be quiet enough so he doesn't hear. I would be deathly embarrassed; I sound like a donkey trying to shit out a ball of needles. Despite my want for him not to hear me, the words that escape the androids lips causes a blush to make its way up my neck to my ears.

"You should sing more often," the words swirl around in my head for a second before my head cowers in embarrassment.

-

"G-Gavin?" Ethan looks towards me when I open his bedroom door, where he had been apparently spending most of his time in.

"Hey, kid," I greet with a smile, my lips quivering a bit.

He grasps his crutches and hobbles towards me, in spite of my protests for him to sit back down.

"I-I missed you so much!" He cries, burying his head into my shoulder. He has definitely gotten taller.

"I missed you too," I sigh, letting a few tears slip from my eyes. The hug is warm and I realize that he's gotten chubbier. That's such a fucking good sign. I'd be bawling my eyes out if he was any skinnier than how he was when I last saw him. 

Conan had stayed behind in the living room, making conversation with my mom. He was unsure of even coming inside but I insisted, refusing to leave him out there.

"How've you been feeling? Any good news?" I question, pulling away from the hug. I grasp his chin, checking his face for any signs of the sickness he's been fighting with for about two years.

"I'm fine, Gravy," he giggles, "I have been getting better. I mean... there's a few times where my breathing sort of falters but other than that, I'm playing soccer again."

"You are?" My eyes widen and a smile erupts onto my face. "When is your next game?"

"Next weekend. You know..." he becomes really timid, "I'd really like it if you came. After all, I'm not going to play it forever."

"Of course I'll come," I grin, making a mental note to schedule that day off. "Just have mom send me the time and day."

"I will," he beams, making my heart beat with happiness. I'm such a fucking idiot for staying away from you.

"Let's go see what mom and Conan are doing," I say, almost forgetting that the Android was with me.

"Conan? Who's that?" He questions, starting to walk out of his room.

"He's my partner at work. He's pretty sweet," I say, not missing the way Ethan stares at me.

"What?" I question, confused as to why he was looking at me like that.

"He's 'sweet'? You've never called anyone sweet. Not even me," he squints his eyes suspiciously.

"I-I meant he's cool and stuff... shut up before I hit you," I glare playfully and he laughs, both of us entering the living room where Mom is sitting next to Conan and holding open a book of... photos?

•How was this?
Yes, Gavin's nickname from his brother is Gravy and yes, it's adorable•