20

I spend most of the day in silence while watching movies. My hands were still throbbing but I got pain medication to help with it.

"Fuck!" I yell, realization hitting me. Conan jumps and turns his head towards me.

"What?"

"We were supposed to go to the interrogation room with that woman," I say, remembering that Conan was going to show me what he can do.

"The date of it got moved because people had to gather more evidence of the gas and such. Connor and Hank went in and are doing it tomorrow morning."

I sigh in relief, falling back on the couch. I feel angry but calmer since Conan was here.

Suddenly, my phone rings and I just stare at it. Tina's name comes up but don't answer. I don't feel like talking to anyone.

"Hello?" Conan abruptly answers my phone. "Hello Officer Chen. Yes, Gavin went home. He's okay. Just got a bit sick from our case earlier today. He's asleep right now. Yes, I will have him call you when he wakes up. Of course. Goodbye."

"I don't want to talk to anyone," I shake my head, closing my eyes for a few seconds.

"You can't be 'asleep' forever."

"You want to bet?" I ask, my voice suddenly holding an aggressive tone.

"Stop it, will you?" He asks. "What happened? Why did you do this to yourself?"

"I'm just a piece of shit. I did this to myself because I fucking deserve it, okay?" I snap.

He quiets down, looking away from me. Guilt floods throughout my veins but I don't backdown. Because that's the kind of asshole I am. I do this to myself. I just want to disappear.

"I'm going to bed," I stand up and walk away, hearing Conan faintly say, "you better be awake tomorrow," in a sad voice.

I reach my room after brushing my teeth. I close the door and don't bother changing. I'm frustrated to the point where tears are falling down my face without permission. I slip under my covers and curl into a ball.

I'm off of work for a few days. Maybe... maybe I can go see them. Apologize to their faces for how I've been neglecting them. They live in Big Rapids so I'll get up by five, leave at six, and be there by nine. Good plan, Gav. It's time to get your shit together.

-

I wake up with sweat trailing down my forehead. My heartbeat is unusually slow.

"Are you alright?" I lift my head to see Conan standing in the doorway.

"Y-yeah," I shakily reach towards my phone and turn it on, seeing that it was three in the morning. Why the hell didn't my alarms go off?

"What are you doing awake? Don't you need rest?" I ask, sitting up and rubbing my eyes with my bandaged hands.

"Just heard a few noises. You're cat is a bit of a trouble maker. Knocked over some items on your counter. Then I came to check on you. You didn't seem like you were having a nightmare though. You looked calm until the end."

"Until the end?" I question, not recalling any sort of dream or nightmare.

"Yeah, you were breathing slower, as if you were being strangled," he says with worry sparkling in his eyes.

"Oh..." I speak, not exactly knowing what to say next. Is that why my heartbeat is slower?

"I'll leave you to sleep now, I'm sure you don't want to talk to me anyway," he says, turning his body to leave.

"Conan, wait. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gotten to upset with you. It was my own fault. Don't leave. Please," I beg, almost wanting to reach out for him. "Will you lay with me tonight?"

He didn't seem surprised that I asked that. He looked almost relieved that I said it.

"Yeah, of course," he said, shutting my door and walking towards the bed.

He doesn't lay as stiff as last time. He's more relaxed. More... human.

"Hey, Conan?" I question in a whisper.

"Yes, Gavin?" He answers, looking my way.

"Are you a deviant?" I ask, turning my body towards him and rest my head on the pillow.

"No, why?" He answers, making my heart sink. What if... that kiss... didn't mean anything to him? Like he said, it was just to get my health back in order.

"Nothing. Goodnight," I say, turning around and staring at the wall, my eyes adjusting to the darkness.

•How was this?•