Chapter 8~ Maths and all that

“Sorry we are late Mr. Matt, we had P.E last lesson.” I call to Mr. Matt.

“Not a problem, just take a seat.” He replies. I begin to walk to a seat when I notice a certain red haired girl looking completely out of place in a chair in the front row.

“Mimi, I didn’t know you were doing extension maths.” I say to her as I take the empty seat next to her.

“What did you think I meant all holidays when I said I was doing extension math,” she replies in an annoyed tone.

“Settle down class please. God you can be loud,” Mr. Matt says from the front of his desk while a small laugh spreads through the class, “Now as most of you have probably noticed we have a new student in our class. Her name is Mimi and yes she is a girl,” A scoff escapes from the mouth of one of the boys at the back of the class. You would call them boneheads but seeing as most of them are acing extension maths it is difficult.

“Now to start the class lets do a quick board question. Basically what happen is I will write a question on the board, you work it out and whoever comes to me with the correct answer first get ten bucks,”

“Are you serious?” Mimi questions beside me,

“Yep, so here is the question.”

As Mr. Matt writes the question on the board you only hear the sound of pencil being violently scribbled on a page and, the occasion punch of buttons on a calculator. After just under ten minutes Mimi gets out of her seat and approaches Mr. Matts desk.

“Here is my answer sir,” she says quietly but because of the sudden silence in the room everyone hears. Everyone watches Mr. Matt as he goes through her calculations. Half of the class dumb struck that she was first the other half hoping she was wrong.

“Wow, that’s is impressive Miss Thompson. I mean to do all that in under ten minutes,”

“Bloody hell, is she right or not?” One of the boys calls out interrupting Mr. Matt.

“Yeah she is, guess a girl can bet all of you.” Out cries erupt throughout the room. Mimi takes the ten dollars Mr. Matt has in his hand and returns to her seat.

“ I guess your talent doesn’t just lie in pool then,” I turn and say to Mimi,

“They don’t stop there,” she says with a small giggle.

The class passes quickly. Mimi continued to out shine the rest of the class with her mathematical ability. The boys seemed uncomfortable at first, having a girl enter into what was there private boys club but soon adjusted to the idea. Most of all Mr. Matt seemed go be in heaven. He finally had a person in his class who didn’t swear or break something when they had the wrong answer. She grasped concepts quickly, leaving everyone else to struggle behind her. The bell rings just as I finish the task. Turning to Mimi,

“You still want a ride home?”

“Yeah that be great, thanks,” she answers with a small smile

“We have to drop Kyle and Drew home too, is the ok?” I ask

“Yeah of course but doesn’t Tim need a lift as well.”

“No, he has work so he catches the bus. I’m impressed you remembered.” I say walking out the door with her.

“Bye Mr. Matt,” we both call out.

“Bye.” He answers.