Original story

**IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE - MUST READ BEFORE STARTING**I started writing this story years ago and have recently decided to scrap everything and restart, HOWEVER, I did not have the heart to delete what I originally wrote so, the first "chapter" of this book is actually all the chapters I had out before scrapping the story all rolled into one for the sake of preservation. The book as it is now actually starts in the second "chapter" which will be labeled as the first one. I hope that made sense. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  I was always different. Ever since birth I have seen what the others cannot. I have seen all the colors of the world and I have felt every emotion. And all for one, both simple and complicated, reason. The injections didn't work on me. That's what was simple. Why? Well that's where it gets complicated, mostly because I have no idea why and never will because if I speak of this I will be sent to what they call Elsewhere, but I have a feeling it isn't as innocent as it sounds. So I play the part of the boring child with lack of color and less emotion. It can be hard to control some of them but I manage. As I always have. I think the rule I struggle with most is precision of language and all. Why should I say that I apologize when I am not sorry for what I have done. Why should I accept it from someone else if I know they mean nothing by it either. It's ridiculous but I deal with it. Today is the graduation ceremony, and I am scared. I have no idea what I could potentially be and it scares me to think that I could end up with a role that I'd hate, like birth mother. Regardless of how I feel, I wake when I should and get dressed as I should. When I go downstairs I see my mother and father already there, waiting for me. "Good morning mother, father." I tell them. "Good morning Chloe" They reply before I leave to go to my final day of school. I find something strange though. Our society is meant to be full of complete equality and yet I have no friends. I've never been able to connect with anybody. And I know I am not the only one. If only I were like Fiona, who has only two friends but it's obvious that they are very close. But I must not let jealousy develop, it would reveal me.

After school, I ride my bike back home to get changed into my clothing for the ceremony. As I am going there I see Fiona, Asher and Jonas coming out of the triangle, soaking wet. I laugh about it to myself but notice Jonas look my way. I stop laughing and hurry home. I change quickly and head to the ceremony hall with my family. We go through all the normal things. The elders are released to elsewhere, the nines are given their first bikes, and so on. Finally it is time for our career assignments. We all lined up and waited to be called. I stand next to Fiona. We go through the people until something strange happens, they skip Jonas. He looks around completely confused and I am left in the same state. Why would he be skipped. And then it happened again, with me. Jonas notices that I have been skipped too and gives me a nervous smile from where he stands. I smile back nervously as well. Why would they have skipped us? Did we do something wrong?

"You feel as though I've made a mistake. I apologize to my community." the chief elder says. The crowd replies with acceptance of the apology. "Number 52 and Number 62 please step forward. Jonas and Chloe have not been assigned positions, they have been selected. We were not hasty this time, we could not afford another failure." She starts to explain. What have we been selected for? And why only us, why is it even two people, aren't these things normally for "the one special person"? "Jonas and Chloe posses all four attributes. Intelligence, integrity, courage and one I can name but I cannot. The capacity to see beyond. But I must warn you both, your training involves pain. Pain far beyond anything we know. Are you strong enough? Do we think Jonas and Chloe are brave enough?" She asks and the crowd starts clapping. I look around and see that everyone is doing it. "Jonas, Chloe. You have been selected as our next receivers of memory. Thank you for your childhood." She finishes and we are handed the devices that will give us our rules. Suddenly everyone starts to chant our names. I look over to Jonas and see him looking at me. Both of us still slightly confused but I am glad that I will not be alone in this. For once I am not separate from everyone because Jonas and I are now the same in a sense. It makes me feel... warm and nice.