Chapter 1

Cool Kids Chp. 1

Laney's POV -

I silently made my way down the hallway filled with lockers and teens, trying to avoid stares, glares and laughs. "Loser." "She has no friends." "What's her name again?" Were only some of the hurtful things my ears caught. I tugged on the bottom of my oversized sweater as I finally made it to my locker. I put in the combination and hurried to put in my books I wouldn't need for my next class. "So what are you doing tonight Bieber?.. Nothing good you're coming to my party then." I heard some guy say. "Uh okay?" The other laughed. The locker next to mine swung open hitting my fingers. "Ow!" I yelled. "Oh no! I'm sorry." One of the most popular guys in school. Justin Bieber. Came over and held my hand. What?.. The hell...? "It's fine." I pulled away. "Are you sure?" He asked as I bent down picking up my English books. "Yeah all good. Don't worry about it." I walked past him not even looking him in the eyes. "I'm really sorry!" I heard him yell. I continued walking to English class with the most embarrassed face you could imagine... That was the first person that actually talked to me in a month... That's right. A month. Sometimes I wish I could just be like one of the cool kids, instead of the loner nerd that has no friends because her only one moved away last month.. I wish I actually fit in, instead of eating lunch in the hallways by myself because no one else wanted me around.. But obviously, it's not going to happen..

The bell rang meaning there was only one more class left at this hell hole. Once again I made my way to my locker hoping Justin and his friends weren't there. I had nothing against them, it's just that some of the guys he hangs out with don't exactly like me... I'm not quite sure why, but then again the whole school doesn't like me for no reason as well. '17-27-40' I entered the combination. I grabbed my notebook because that's all I needed for my next class, drama. I enjoyed drama class a lot, I don't want to be an actress, but it's mostly the poetry and stories that intrigue me. I'm into writing, it's my way of telling my feelings considering I had no one to really talk to. Sure there was my mom, but she would most likely make things worse by coming to my school and making a scene. I don't want or need that. I manage just fine all by myself. After I got what I needed I made my way to class.. The halls were filled with teenagers hurrying to their class or gossiping in the corner.

I finally arrived at the door to drama class, when a hand grabbed my wrist making me jump. "Hey, sorry I didn't mean to scare you." He said. I looked up and was completely confused.. What did Justin want?.. "I um.." He said letting go of my hand, looking like he was nervous for some reason. "I just wanted to say sorry again... About your hand." He said. "Oh um.. It's really no big deal..?" I said confused as well. "You have drama class too right?" He asked. "That's why I'm here." I pointed towards to door. "Oh, right." He laughed. I smiled trying not to show too much emotion, I'm not sure why he's even talking to me really, but I'm not gonna make it seem like he can just start talking to me out of no where... He's definitely not a friend... But now that I think about it, he's not really a enemy either. He never picked on me or even talked to me before he slammed my fingers with his locker.. On accident of course..

The bell rang meaning everyone had to be in the classroom right now. But Justin and I continued to stare awkwardly at each other until I finally said. "We should go in." "Oh yeah.. Sorry." He scratched the back of his neck. I nodded slowly and made my way into the classroom. I walked towards the back of the class, and made my way to my usually seat. I set my notebook on the desk and shifted my eyes up to the front of the class. I scanned the room looking for Justin, don't know why. I just did. Once I finally found him he was sitting with one of his friends and two girls. One of them being his girlfriend Haley. She was actually the one that started all this bullying towards me. We used to be bestfriends in the second grade up until the fourth when she moved away. When she came back in eighth grade I was so excited because my bestfriend was finally back! Or at least I thought she was.. She totally had a new attitude and didn't want anything to do with me. She got new friends, her 'clique' and has gone through boyfriends over the years, but Justin has been the most recent.

She usually dates them for a few months, gets them attached to her, then leaves them like a sick puppy. I don't want to call her a whore or a bitch. Because that's not right. Calling people names isn't nice at all..... But it's true. And I didn't know half the guys she dated, but they all seemed like nice guys. They just unfortunately fell for her trap.

"Alright class!" The young teacher Mr. Dawson beamed standing up from his desk. "Today you guys are going to get the scripts to audition for the cast of 'Pericles, Prince of Tyre'!" He got everyone's attention, including mine. I said I never wanted to be an actress, which I don't! I just find that a little interesting as well. "We need the lead male, lead female and some extras of course." He said writing the names 'Pericles' and 'Antiochus's daughter' on the board. I smiled. I loved this play, my dad would always make me watch it with him on tv in black and white, in the old days - whenever they showed it for special occasions when I was younger. He said his father would watch it with him too. It is a play by Shakespeare, but some people argue that someone else wrote it and he only did a few lines.. But it was easier for me to just say Shakespeare. It is a story about love.. Predictable but a great story. But sense we are still in high school, Mr. Dawson changed a little bit of the play and is making 'Antiochus's daughter' have more lines than the original... The lead guy which is a prince and the lead girl which is pretty much forbidden to talk to the prince - fall in love, blah blah blah... If I get the lead part, I'm sure my dad will be super excited!.. I never really wanted to audition or try out for anything because I don't like to be the center of attention. Plus nothing has ever captured my interest.. But this play. Is something I want. Something I need. Maybe this will show all the other popular cool kids, that I'm not useless.. I can actually do something cool. I can do something right... I have to impress them, I can't take the bullying anymore. I'm not going to hurt myself! They are definitely not worth that, but it hurts... Ya know?..