Chapter Forty

Everyone just stared at the door for a moment and then looked back at Shalini, while she looked up at her husband.

Aryan took her hand in his and kissed her palm. "Hi."

Shalini chuckled lightly. "Hi."

"Kaki Ma," Akash, NK, and Lavanya shouted, and they went running towards her.

Aryan had to jump back as his niece and nephews tackled his wife. "Hey!"

Shalini burst into laughter as they hugged her tightly. They eventually pulled back and she caressed their faces, all of the children in tears, as well as she. The family all came together, hugging and crying, all happy on Shalini's return. Shalini was introduced to the other two additions of the family and they all caught up.

Arnav stood on the side and watched his mother, a big smile plastered on her face. Khushi joined him by his side and placed her hand on his shoulder.

"Are you okay," Khushi asked softly.

Arnav nodded then took Khushi's hand in his. "I'm sorry."

Khushi scrunched her eyebrows.

"You were right; I promised to be by your side forever, yet I wasn't."

Khushi smiled sadly. "Arnav, that woman-"

"It doesn't matter what anyone else does. I should've been more supportive. I-"

"Stop that," she said taking hold of his other hand. "It's not your fault."

"But-"

"Hush, that's the end of it."

Arnav sighed. "What did I ever do to deserve you?"

Khushi smiled softly and kissed him on his cheek. "Now go to her."

Arnav looked at his mother and found her smiling softly at them. Arnav went to join her and Shalini held her hand out. He took her hand in his and sat beside her. Khushi watched as they all reconnected, tears pooling in her eyes.

"I believe there's a photo of them all just like this."

Khushi looked up to see Aryan.

"If memory serves right, they were in this exact position."

Khushi looked back at them. Arnav was sitting to his mother's right, while Akash sat on the floor in front of him, NK on Shalini's left, and Lavanya sitting on the floor in front of him.

"I think there is," Khushi said, remembering back to an old photo she had once seen.

Aryan chuckled lightly before turning to Khushi. "Thank you for making this family whole again."

Khushi smiled softly. "I didn't do anything."

"Ah, but you did. You've brought happiness back into our lives. You truly do live up to your name," Aryan winked.

Khushi blushed with a smile and Aryan hugged her, dropping a kiss on the top of her head.

"Khushi?"

Khushi looked up at Shalini, who held her hand out.

"Come," she smiled.

Khushi nodded and she went over to her.

"Here, sit," she said, patting to her right.

"Uh, no, this is my spot," Arnav said.

"Chote!"

"What," he said, as if nothing were the matter.

Shalini shook her head. "You're such a child," she laughed.