xi. eleven

Sophie attempted to peel her eyes open, but to no avail. She was surrounded by darkness.

No... she blinked the grogginess from her sight and looked again.

She was lying on her back in a dark room with walls covered in something that gave off a faint glow, making the whole room look like a starry night sky.

Sophie shook her head, trying to clear away the lingering brain fog. Even though she was conscious again, she couldn't remember exactly where she was, or how she had gotten there.

Her back ached. She rolled her shoulders and arched her back and stretched her arms out. Only her hands wouldn't go any farther.

What?

She wiggled her feet. Same thing—she couldn't move them more than a few inches. Was this some funny joke the Neverseen was playing on her?

It all came back to her like a sucker punch to the gut. She wasn't in one of the Neverseen's hideouts anymore.

She had been taken by the Black Swan.

Sophie took deep breaths, forcing herself to do what she had been trained to do. Assess the situation. Find what could be used to her advantage.

She sat up as much as the restraints would allow her, which wasn't saying much. All she could do was struggle to her elbows. 

The room was empty all for a door across the room and the weird metal table she was lying on. She was getting major evil scientist vibes.

Since the room was barren, Sophie inspected her binds. They were an orangey-gold color, and had a blue stone set into each center where they connected.

Sophie recognized them. When she was still with the Black Swan, they had just been a prototype Dex had been working on. They were supposedly really hard to shatter and dulled the senses and abilities of the person they held. Sophie glared at them, wishing she had heat vision or something so she could melt them. How annoying. No wonder she couldn't remember things at first.

"Well, nice little attempt, but I transmitted halfway across the world while drugged and fighting off sedatives, so bite me," she muttered, blowing out a breath and closed her eyes.

She expanded her mind until she reached the set of thoughts she was looking for, but... they felt different then usual. Dulled, but not by her weak telepathy. By something else.

Ruy? What's wrong?

It took a second for her voice to register, but eventually it clicked. Sophie.

Are you okay? Something was definitely off. 

Oh, it's nothing. I'm fine, don't worry. A desire to move his legs into a more comfortable position flashed across the front of Ruy's mind, but he cringed and she felt him push his thoughts back behind the veil.

Ruy, tell me what happened, she transmitted, her worry increasing. 

Ugh, I forgot that you could read my mind, he thought. I keep thinking you can only transmit from this far, because that's what Gethen can do.

Stop avoiding the question. Tell. Me. Now.

Don't worry, he insisted. I'm fine.

Sophie leaked warning into her transmission. Ruy

But, he cut her off, Gisela just... punished me for losing a valuable team member.

Sophie was overwhelmed by guilt. This is my fault. I'm so sorry, Ruy. I

Don't, he interrupted. See, this is exactly why I didn't want to tell you. I don't want you feeling bad. This isn't your fault; we all fought as hard as we could. The Black Swan just... got us this time.