Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

'I promise. I won't let them put you in the ice or make your pain last longer than needs be.'

Dick closed his eyes in relief and slipped back into unconsciousness.

Damian sat for a long time. When Grayson had disappeared, he had wished that he had been able to at least say goodbye. He thought there could be nothing worse than not knowing what had happened to him. He was wrong. Watching him slowly die right before his eyes was worse. Much worse.

'You alright son?' Bruce quietly entered the room and took the seat next to his youngest son.

Damian's only response was the tightening of his jaw. But Bruce seemed to understand the silent answer.

'He seems to be deteriorating faster than the others.' Bruce mused. The other Talon's had lasted weeks, withering in agony, their bodies beginning to break down and decay while they were still alive. Although Dick was in agony, from what Wally had told him on the phone, Dick would slip away by the end of the week. It was a small mercy, that the boy would be spared the full horror of what this virus could do.

'It's because he's not fighting it.' Said Damian. 'The others fought until their last breath. It was in their nature.'

A whimper came from the bed, Dick turned over in his sleep, curling in on himself and letting out another whimper of pain. Bruce raised himself from his chair and lowered himself onto the edge of the bed. He started rubbing slow circles into Dick's back. He could feel each vertebra in Dick's spine through his sleep shirt.

'West said the pain medication wasn't enough anymore.' Said Damian quietly. Bruce continued to rub the soothing circles and the whimpers died down again. But the new position was putting pressure on his lung and Dick suddenly started to choke. Bruce took him by his shoulders, pulling him up into a sitting position and pressing the mask to the youngers mouth, encouraging him to take deep breaths.

'Deep breaths, Dickie. There you go, well done.'

Despite the rough handling and choking sensation, Dick's eyes remained hooded and his level of consciousness was not complete. Once he was breathing again, Bruce lay him against the pillows and pushed some loose hair from his face. When he turned back to his son, Damian had a stony expression.

'It won't be long now. Will it?'

'If his lungs are failing, then no.' said Bruce. 'Without ventilation, he won't be able to survive long. It will only take a bad seizure or a collapsed lung.' He took a deep breath himself to steady his emotions. 'The pain will be over for him soon.'

Neither of them wanted to leave, the unsaid worry in the room that if they did it would be the last time, they saw the boy alive. They had been there several hours when the door opened again, and Jason emerged from the corridor.

'Hi.' He said, coming fully inside and followed closely by Annie.

'We'll give you some space.' Said Bruce, but Jason waved him to sit back down.

'No, stay, please. We have something to tell you both.' He turned his head over his shoulder to watch Annie walk over to the bed and kneel down so that she was level with its occupant.

'Dick.' She said, touching his arm. 'Dickie, can you hear me?'

They could see how much effort it took, but Dick pealed his eyes open and looked over at her.

'I have something to show you.' She looked down into her bag and pulled out an envelope from which she pulled a glossy picture. Dick frowned as he tried to work out what it was but once he recognised it, he lifted his hand and gently touched the scan with his shaking fingers. He smiled beneath the oxygen mask. He brought his hand to the plastic and brought it down.