to catfish, or not to catfish

I sat staring at my laptop screen, before typing in the letters, "Shemtra", into the search bar. My fingers drummed on the edge of the keyboard as I waited for my laptop to load. My mouse made a click as I did on the laptop screen and the homepage to "Shemtra" popped up.

The classic colours of baby blue and pastel yellow appeared at the top of the screen, while the logo, a bouquet of flowers (the same colours as the top of the screen) and two bumble bees meeting above them, loaded next to it.

I pressed start chat immediately, after checking behind me to make sure neither one of my parents had quietly came into the room to see what I was doing.

My parents, like every other didn't approve of any online site that enabled me to talk to strangers. I'm not stupid, I'm not going to give my address and phone number to the first person who asks for it.

After about five porn offers and three different girls offering me nudes, I finally met another "decent" person on the site. At least, someone who wasn't offering me the chance to fill my "sexual desires".

I typed, making the first move.

You: Hi.

Anonymous: Hi.

You: M or f?

Anonymous: M. You?

You: F.

You: Age?

Anonymous: 19.

Okay. I'm either talking to a 19 year old boy or a potential paedophile.

A message popped up on my screen.

Anonymous: Wau?

To catfish, or not to catfish, that is the question. I looked at the screen again, puzzled. Would it be rude to catfish someone? But would it even matter if it was rude, if there was a 50% chance that the person on the other screen could be doing the same thing to me? In the end, I ignored my parents first warning. Never tell strangers your age.

You: 17, going 18.

Did age really matter? What could a stranger do with an age? There's about a billion other kids out there who are the same age. It could be any one of them. Anonymous answered almost immediately this time.

Anonymous: Cool.

Anonymous: What you doing at the moment?

You: Just lying in bed. You?

Anonymous: Same as you.

Anonymous: Great minds think alike.

You: Country?

Anonymous: England.

You: Same.

England. Interesting. Most people I've met before hand on "Shemtra" were from America.

You: So what do you do for fun?

Major question. Not to some people, but to me. This would give me a basic idea on what sort of personality I'm dealing with. The horny would usually read it in horny context and answer using an intricate description of what they like to "do". I know from experience.

My finger hovered over the "Esc" button on my keyboard waiting for a supposed explicit response.

Anonymous: Go out with friends I guess. Well, at least I would if I had any.

Honestly, same. My finger instantly moved away from the "Esc" button.

Anonymous: I'm joking by the way, I do have friends. I have a ton of friends. Please don't leave.