Compliment vs Complement

~~~~~~~~~~

Before we get started, I want to commend @MumbattTheMonsterGuy for getting the question in the last chapter correct! Wonderful job, although you don't have any books for me to give a shoutout to. Keep up that reading spirit, though!

~~~~~~~~~~

So, does anyone here know the difference between these two homophones?

Anyone?

No?

Yes? 

I don't know, I'm still writing this currently. You'll have to let me know in the comments. 

Anyway, as per usual, I'll go ahead and tell you in my own words before copy + pasting the Google definition.

This one's quick and easy to get into your head. All you have to remember is that "compliment" with an "i" means something nice you say to another person, whereas "complement" with an "e" is the word for two things that go well together.

An example for each is,

"I'm feeling good about my outfit today. I really think the golden flower necklace complements my purple shirt nicely."

And

"I know that my outfit is good; My friend Alejandra even complimented me on the color choices."

And Google says,

"Complement and compliment (together with related words such as complementary and complimentary) are frequently confused. ... A classic blazer complements a look that's smart or casual. while compliment means 'admire and praise someone for something', as in: He complimented her on her appearance."

That wraps up this lesson, and I apologize for the lack of regular updates. I'll see you all on Monday, with the difference between "Stationery" and "Stationary".

Feel free to let me know if you know the difference between the next set of homonyms in the comments section! First three who get it right will get an honorable mention in the next chapter and a shoutout for a book of theirs that I enjoy. Love you all, see you next week! <3

-Viupcake