Chapter 4: Taking Undue Advantage

“Assist me, in catching Alfred. Trick him as I plan, and your sentence will be shortened.”

I was stunned.

“Damn it. Now he wants me to betray the ones I love.” I thought. John seemed to be taking full advantage of the situation.

“I need a lawyer first.” I thought it might at least buy me some time if not completely free me.

“Lawyer?” He laughed off. “You think all of this is official? You think I am a fool? All of this is unofficial, and I can do anything to you, as per my wish”

That was pretty much expected, actually. John never let loose criminals he caught easily. He was best at killing the criminals, from the inside.

“You’ll have to free me then.” I attempted a bargain.

“Really? That’s the best bargain you got? I am giving you one hours’ time. Coordinate with me, and I’ll reduce your term by five years, or rot in jail for the next thirty years. The choice is yours.” John left, fumed. It seemed he didn’t like my way of bargaining.

***

I needed to think of every possible situation. It was a tough decision, but I had to make one.

“I would still be in for twenty-five years. How different is twenty-five and thirty? If I can survive twenty-five years, the next five would not be tough.”

“Could helping the police really solve all the problems?”

“Was Ron right? Alfred is getting old now…”

“Alfred could get me anywhere if he comes to know about my betrayal”

“Have I done him more than what he has done for me?”

“Is Alfred worth just five years of jail?”

“This was a situation of life and death and I couldn’t trust the cops with my life!”

 Numerous questions popped up.

“But I can’t just keep juggling sides. I need to stick with one.”

***

“Yes. So what have you decided?” John returned in barely fifteen minutes.

“I need time commissioner…” I replied with my head down. I was nowhere near a conclusion.

“Take all the time you want. And rot in solitary confinement for the next thirty years.” He interrupted firmly.

My head went up. At first I had all my frustrated on him. But as I looked at him my hatred transformed into helplessness.

“What do you mean by solitary confinement? You said it was just a jail!”

“Well, if you agree, you get thirty minus the five years in jail. If you not, I’ll put you under solitary confinement for thirty.”

He had reached his limits. He was taking undue advantage of the situation. I knew he wanted me to work for him at any cost. But the conditions he put left me no choice but to do as he said. Solitary confinement would kill me from the inside!

“John had done it again. He was going to kill me from the inside, whatever my decision be” I said to myself.

“I’ll do as you say.” I said with total disappointment.

He was playing with my life.

“Good that you chose the right path.” He smiled roguishly. “I’ll send Jake to take you out in some time. I have explained everything to him, he’ll lead you. Do as he says, he’ll be in charge.”

I nodded helplessly. “That bastard Jake! He’s got himself promoted. And now he’ll lead me? Damn it.” I said to myself.

***

Jake came. I could see his face full of pride, the pride which came with his promotion on catching me.

“One day that pride of yours will be the reason of your demise.”  I said.

“At least I am enjoying now.” He said as his eyes grew wide.

“Get me out of here.”

“Sure, sure. What’s the hurry? You are going back after the job I hear.” He laughed off. “Do you believe John? I mean what if he doesn’t save you five years? ” He continued.

“I’ll take a chance” I said uncertainly.

He kept bombarding nonsenses at me to provoke to me. But I managed to ignore most of them.

“So what is the plan exactly?” I finally asked.

“You are to go back to Alfred’s hideout and work normally. When the time comes, I would be there already, and you’ll tell him that the police has come to know about the location and time of a smuggle, scheduled that night. You’ll then tip him to carry on with the job at a place I say, where John will be waiting with our men.”

“Well planned ambush, that.” I said with disgust.  I could not resist in appreciating the plan. It was a good one considering that it was planned at a short notice. “Whose plan was it by the way?” I asked curiously.

“Mine, of course” He said smugly. But looking at him I could make out he was lying.

“John’s plan, you mean” I said with a crooked smile.

He gave a grin, and left.